How do I remove this Kenmore Dryer Motor???

Old 08-15-07, 09:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I remove this Kenmore Dryer Motor???

I have a Kenmore dryer (model no. 110.96588210) which needs motor replacement.

I basically know what should be done to remove the motor. I even found instructions and photo(s) that help in accomplishing that:

http://www.applianceaid.com/wp-motors.html
www.applianceaid.com/wp-motors.html
www.applianceaid.com/wpmotor-change.html

The idea is that the fan blower needs to be removed in order to access two screws that hold the motor assembly. The fan blower is threaded onto one end of the motor shafts. The fan blower is a left hand thread.

I tried removing the fan blower by turning it clockwise while holding the motor shaft, but... it seems like the fan blower is stuck there...

I tried some reasonable force (including hitting the fan blower with a hammer - I have a new fan blower to replace it) - to no avail.

What makes the problem even more difficult is that the wrench that is supposed to hold the shaft doesn't really have a strong support point.

The instructions I found have the following picture:

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/ldrwp-unscrew-blower.jpg
www.applianceaid.com/images/ldrwp-unscrew-blower.jpg

But although it is the same exact motor, the dryer is not exactly the same and the motor is installed in a different location and arrangement - as shown in the following picture:

http://www.applianceaid.com/newimages/ldrwp4r-blower-housing.jpg
www.applianceaid.com/newimages/ldrwp4r-blower-housing.jpg

http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html#four
www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html#four

Is there any way I can remove this thing?

I would appreciate any tip or help.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-16-07, 03:14 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you actually try the suggestion of using a 1/2 inch ratchet extension to fit inside the hole of the blower wheel?, and holding the pulley end of the motor shaft?, as suggested?

Old 08-17-07, 07:38 AM
B
Unhappy

========
Did you actually try the suggestion of using a 1/2 inch ratchet extension to fit inside the hole of the blower wheel?, and holding the pulley end of the motor shaft?, as suggested?
========
Yes, I did - to no avail. It seems like the blower wheel is glued to the shaft, this is crazy. How on earth can anyone (even a trained SEARS technician) remove this?

Especially when there isn't really very good anchor for the wrench holding the pulley end of the motor shaft.

Being desperate, I even tried softening the part of the blower wheel that threads onto the motor shaft by using a heat gun pointed at the square hole. Softening, while hitting the blower "wings" (and while holding the motor shaft) at the correct direction.

Lots of unpleasant smell, but that didn't help either. I was in a rush, so perhaps I will try this again. I am on the verge of pulling my hair. At this point it has become a challenge (not to mention the $100+ that I have already paid for the new motor + blower), so I am determined to solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Bill

Old 08-17-07, 12:45 PM
D
I know this may sound kinda lame, but have you tried turning it the other direction? Sounds like you are tightening it. Got nothing to loose at this point!

Old 08-17-07, 01:26 PM
B
Originally Posted by dosser View Post
I know this may sound kinda lame, but have you tried turning it the other direction? Sounds like you are tightening it. Got nothing to loose at this point!
No, your idea is not lame - it occurred to me as well and I tried turning it the other direction, although the instructions (left threaded) and the writing on the fan blower itself (arrows for "REMOVE" and "TIGHTEN") make no room for mistakes...

It seems as if there is some secret to it or... 12 years have glued the blower to the shaft stronger than rust... This is incredible. I even tried a few blows to see if some extreme force would help here, but all I managed to do is break one of the wings of the blower.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Bill

Old 08-17-07, 01:47 PM
B
Talking

YES !!! YES! YES! YES!

I made it!

I finally managed to remove the fan blower.

Here is how:

I heated the motor shaft (the side that is closer to the blower) with a HEAT GUN (Milwaukee model # 2000D) some more... all that time exerting some pressure on rachet handle that was connected to the 1/2" extender (plugged into the blower's square hole):

http://www.applianceaid.com/newimages/ldrwp4r-blower-housing.jpg

And the miracle happened!

I am sooooooooooooo happy.

Thank you everybody!
Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: