Compressor hot and CLicking, all defrosted...

Old 08-16-07, 05:01 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor hot and CLicking, all defrosted...

Hello. OK so I found my freezer defrosted and my fridge section a bit hot, 68 degrees. I have a kenmore model 106-52214100. I took off the back cover and the fan is spinning but the compressor is very hot (not sure what is the normal feel of them). I hear it trying to turn on but then I hear a click noise that turns it off. What can be the problem here? Could the relay be bad? Compressor? Defrost timer? Any help or guidance appreciated. If the compressor is stuck as the previous thread said does this mean the compressor is bad? If so is it worth fixing knowing that it is 7 years old? I just put a fan in front of the compressor to try to cool it off and see if that helps it in the mean time. Thanks

Old 08-16-07, 01:56 PM
D
The "clicking" you hear is the thermal overload in the compressor opening. Have you been cleaning the condenser coil every year? Is it clean now? You may have lost the cap. for the compressor, so it can't start, or the compressor is "locked up" and will need to be replaced. Excessive heat will kill a compressor. You can replace your start relay and cap. If you have to replace the compressor, make sure it will comes with a new condensor. Depending on the size of unit it may be better to replace it. Twelve years ago I was replacing them for about $400. Not sure what it would cost today. Just did a quick on line and start relays are about $25.

Last edited by dosser; 08-16-07 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-16-07, 02:10 PM
H
I recently cleaned it since we just pretty much moved in. I found the relay locally. Will install when I get home to see if it works. Per the parts guy, he said it has been a common thing with these relays. Actually the part number per Sears has changed for future reference. the new # is 8201786

Old 08-17-07, 07:04 AM
H
Just for future searches, I replaced the relay and the compressor is up and running once again. I took apart the old relay and it was burnt to crisp. The new part number comes with three different types of relays. Whirlpool is doing this because throughout the years they had several faulty relays so the kit allows you to convert to the correct one. Again working fine for me. Thanks again ...

Old 08-17-07, 05:14 PM
H
Now What can it be???

So I just recently replaced the relay switch since it was bad and now I am measuring the temps and does not seem right. The freezer part only gets to 10 degrees above 0 even with the setting set to the max. I know before it would get to 0. The fridge part gets to about 35-40 Does this sound right as far as the temps? I am going to get another thermometer to verify but where should they be at? Any info appreciated... Thanks Hector

Old 08-17-07, 06:13 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How soon after the relay was replaced? Maybe the pressures did not equalize yet. But if that is not it, maybe the relay went out due to extra demand on compressor from slightly low freon. I myself may be dealing with a similar issue on a (nice looking, not that old, but bottom-of-the-line, cheap.....)fridge giving me fits myself, as diagnosis is easier with total failure rather than a very slight one.

If your compressor keeps running and it can never meet set temp, then you are low on freon, most likely - a leak.

Oh, and make sure if you have light bulb inside that it goes off when you shut the door.

Old 08-17-07, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Two possibilities are that it could be low on refrigerant or the compressor could have bad valves.
Neither prospect is good.

If it is low on refrigerant there will be a leak that is often relatively expensive to repair.
You would need to have this checked out but one of the most common places for a refrigerator to leak is the evaporator area which often involves replacing it.

If the compressor is the problem it would need to be replaced.
In my area the cost is between $300.00 and 400.00 and is often not cost effective for an older fridge.

You really would need to have a repair person check this to be sure.

Old 08-17-07, 08:38 PM
H
Thanks all. Actually it was about 24 hours after the relay was replaced that I checked. I will check again tomorrow. So again, what temps should I be looking for? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: