amana way too cold

Old 08-19-07, 09:12 PM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy amana way too cold

i have a problem now with an amana refrigerator.
ITs freezing stuff in the refrigerator part. The freezer is on the bottom of the frig.. I don't think its the thermostat as the compressor goes off and on like normal . I think it may be the damper door that lets cold air into the refrigerator section. I called a local repairman but he wont tell me how to fix it over the phone or if that is the problem to begin with. He wants to make a service call and get paid. The owners manual is useless. All it says is to clean the condenser coils,,which i"ve done repeatedly or to give up.I called the amana hotline and got the same speel citing the usual "liability concerns ". Do u know where i can get some help with this?
thanks,
gascan

Old 08-20-07, 06:21 PM
E
It IS a thermostat issue. That is what makes the refrigerator shut off and turn on when it should. If you don't want it that cold, you set the refrigerator control to a smaller number. Have you tried that?

If say, you find that even if you turn it down to #1, and it is still too cold, and the refrigerator compressor is NOT running constantly, then this would also mean it is your thermostat.

A damper control cannot make a refrigerator section get colder than set point. Only malfunctioning t-stat can.

Also make sure light is shutting off in refrigerator when door is being closed. In theory, a hot light bulb could keep the t-stat warm and keep calling for cold, longer, - and since cold sinks, this could possibly cause your problem.

Old 08-20-07, 07:15 PM
E
There is something I wish to add to help make things easy to understand:

Many people know that the cold enters the freezer and this starts to cloud the thinking of just what controls the temperature of the freezer and refrigerator. Like, is it the freezer setting or the refirigerator setting, that is in control?, they may wonder.

The cold enters the freezer through the evaporator coils in there and gets blown by a fan in there (both into the freezer and also the refrigerator, which can be controlled by a damper control). But the temperature for the refrigerator is only determined by what the thermostat is set at, and has no bearing on what temp is coming out of the freezer. Even if 10 below zero were blowing out your freezer fan, you could set your refrigerator's thermostat to stop the compressor and make the refrigerator section be 45 degrees. (Albeit the freezer compartment temperature would never reach minus 10, if you had the refrigerator set at 45. It probably would wind up being about 15 give or take some.)

Old 08-20-07, 09:50 PM
G
Question some follow up info pleese

ecman,

than what purpose does the damper control serve. I mean if its broke in the open position how does that effect the refrigerator. If its broke in the closed position does air still get in the refrigerator ?
one last question,,can u tell me exactly where the thermostat resides and how difficult is it to replace?

thanx,
gascan

Old 08-21-07, 06:58 AM
E
The damper serves diverting the cold out of or into the freezer. The purpose is so you can have a colder or warmer freezer without having to alter the temp of the refrigerator section.

I am not familiar with bottom freezer fridges, but on regular ones, the thermostats are mounted on the ceiling of the fridge compartment inside a plastic cover. Often the defrost timer is in there also. Changing them out is as simple as taking off that plastic cover that may only be held on by one screw and 2 ears, then removing the number dial and accessing/removing 2 screws hiding under it and removing it. Simple. Fridge I am curently monitoring after I ADJUSTED the stat with a tiny flat screwdriver (you can adjust many of these!) would cost $65 if I replaced it.

Old 08-21-07, 06:16 PM
G
Most Amana refrigerators have the thermostat in the freezer section. It senses the freezer temperature not the refrigerator temperature.

Old 08-21-07, 06:32 PM
G
Unhappy confusing amana

HI,

What Doug said in his post about the thermostat in the freezer section seems correct. There is an adjustment in there and it does work keeping the temperature correct in the freezer. In the refrigerator section there is a temperature control that has what looks like a very small pulley belt that goes to the back of the refrigerator controlling something. Would that something be the damper ?
I've temporarily fixed the problem by blocking with tape most of the cold air vents coming into the back of the refrig. The refrigerator does cycle on and off like normal. So the big question is if the damper control is broke can that cause the refrigerator section to turn into a freezer? Thanx fer any help

let me know,
gascan

Old 08-22-07, 06:49 AM
E
If it's really true that the thermostat that controls the temp, and NOT the defrost thermostat, are in the freezer, I will - well, that be a new one on me. I have never ran into that.

I found something on line regarding a problem with an Amana refrigerator. See answer given on last line.

Also because my curiousity is now piced, I have to call up the techs I deal with at appliance repair shop on this.

"Thank you for you very prompt answer.

About one year after my purchase this too cold problem occured. Maytag sent out a repairman. I don't think he check the evaporator panel. He changed the thermostat, saying that it was defective. Another year later, same problem. I called a refrigeration service company. He defrosted the freezer and I think he looked at the evaporator panel. He changed the thermostat a second time, saying that the Maytag man did not use a standard part. A year later the same problem. I changed the thermostat. This time it lasted about two months.

The answer you gave was exactly what I had suspected. Seems there must be something else wrong.

But if the cooling coils are icing over, shouldn't the thermostat take care of that anyway by not switching on at all? Why would it still come on and freeze everything when it is obviously too cold already?
Answer -
The probe for the thermostat is in the refrigerator not on the coils."

[The person giving the answer went on to explain other things, on this Amana.]

Old 08-22-07, 04:30 PM
E
I did talk to the appliance company secretary and she asked one of the techs for me and claims Doug was right. She said "Amana does some weird things".

You will have 2 choices. Either raise the temp in the freezer, by turning the stat to a smaller number, which will also automatically raise the temp in the refrigerator along with it. Or close down the damper to the refrigerator section.

Old 08-22-07, 06:46 PM
G
bringing in the pro

I talked to a local repairman on the phone and gave him all the info i gave u folks.
He's coming out Monday to do the repair. I don't know how i will fare out,but considering its such a huge refrigerator i don't want to give it up without a fight.
I'm sure a replacement would be big bucks. I will let u know how i fare out.
I don't wanna put alot of money into it but in talking with another repairmen he seemed to think it can be fixed within an hour.

sometimes u gotta bite the bullet,,,
gascan

Old 08-23-07, 08:24 AM
E
What is the temp in the freezer compartment?

Have you turned down any setting lower yet?

Old 08-24-07, 06:55 PM
G
reply to ecman

the temp in the freezer appears to be normal for that of any freezer -20F. When the temperature gets too cold in the refrigerator compartment i turn up ( warm up ) the temperature in the freezer section and then the refrigerator section warms up also. However i am limited to how much i can do that because the freezer section will warm up too much if i keep increasing that.
Right now i have the temperature in the refrigerator section set at the warmest number and the freezer temp controller about mid setpoint. I have a good balance there but do occasionally have to make adjustments with the freezer temperature to balance the refig. section. I think the damper is broke open on the refrig section but not sure . pleese give back any idea's u might have

thanx,
gascan

Old 08-24-07, 07:57 PM
E
-20? in freezer section? And yo can't inctrease the tmep downthere by X degrees to make the refrigeratoer section go up likewise?

And I haven't reviewed previous posts of yours tonight, - so have you said if the freezer ever stops running? We have to make sure that can happen before anything else. If say you can't make it stop running with the stat, then the stat is at fault.

Other than that, if ice got in the damper, and then if you tied to turn the damper control, you could have snapped baffles inside.

Old 08-24-07, 09:45 PM
G
more amana info

to be more clear on what i said. I can raise the freezer temp, which in turn raises the refrigerator section temp. But i want to keep the temp cold in the freezer section so everything stays very frozen. The stat in the freezer section does turn off the compressor when i adjust it to make things warmer.I have most of the cold air coming into the refrigerator section blocked off with tape. If i remove the tape the refrigerator section turns into a freezer.

thanx,
gascan

Old 08-25-07, 07:38 AM
E
A temperature of 0-degreesF is not cold enough?

Maybe trying to accomplish what you are trying to do has no answer other than doing what you are doing. Maybe the unit was not designed to have such a temp differential between the freezer and fridge section even if you turned the dial as far as it allows to reduce the flow into the fridge.

Old 08-25-07, 08:50 PM
G
reply to ecman

it was working fine at one time for a while. Then all of a sudden it turned into a freezer in the fridge section and everything froze solid,,without anyone changing the set point on the thermostats. I got a repairman coming out Monday and i"ll let u know how i make out.

signed,
gascan

Old 08-26-07, 12:49 AM
G
-20 in the freezer is WAAAYYY too cold. The ideal temperature in the freezer should be at right about "0"

Old 08-26-07, 11:40 AM
E
gascan,

On the fridge I recently had to adjust stat on and monitor, I found out they wanted $65 for that stat. So I passed. As of this post, I haven't heard anything from the tenant that it is not working. I presume it now has been okay. It's been like 2 weeks now. I may have to stop by or call her to see, as I left her with 2 nice refrigerator/freezer thermometers inside, that I got on sale. Unless your stat is some weird hard to get to location, most that I am familiar with, in top-freezer fridges, are very easy to change out, so I hope you get by with a reasonable bill. Your unit must be running and running and running, eh?

Old 08-27-07, 08:26 AM
G
reply to ecman

the unit cycles on and off. The stat from what i can tell is in the freezer section.
If i turn the stat up a notch the fridge comes on , and if i turn it down a notch the compressor goes off. So i believe the stat is functioning fine. i know originally when i talked to the repairman on the phone he mentioned possibly the defrost timer or an adjustment on the damper . we"ll see ,,he's due here today.

gascan

Old 08-28-07, 07:16 PM
G
Red face Update on Amana refrigerator

Okay here’s what I know, the repairman came today and removed the back cover to the door damper. When he did this I heard a BOING. a spring had popped off the damper door. I am unsure whether it happened while he pulled the cover off or if it was already off. He re installed the spring were he thought it went and the door went partially closed. There is also a thermostat that has a plunger to operate the damper door that sort of overrides the manual set point that is accomplished by turning the temperature controller in the fridge section,
This thermostat controls the closing or opening of the damper door, it does not turn on or off the compressor, the stat on the freezer section does that. The adjustment on the temp in the refrigerator just closes or opens the door to a fixed value then the thermostat with the plunger overrides that where the manual fixed position leaves off. It makes sense if you can see a picture but to describe it in words is a nightmare,
The repairman said that the thermostats do not go up on the Amana that operate the damper door. It was really nice to see someone stick out their neck and say something definite, instead of saying something like, well some work and some don’t.
Now, is it fixed,??,,won”t know for a couple days, I have removed the tape off the vents but I have the fridge temp controller on setting 2 ( next to lowest for warm temps) and the temperature is at 38F.

Signing off
Stay tuned to gascan’s saga

Old 08-29-07, 05:01 PM
E
Thanks for the update. Never had to deal with that set up. Interesting.

Old 08-30-07, 08:56 PM
G
hopefully last update

I have gradually been working the temperature controller in the fridge back to where it was before the fridge turned into a freezer,. I am happy to report that it is indeed working normally again, So far ,it seems fixed. when we stick in the next load of groceries i"ll know for sure..

gascan

Old 09-02-07, 08:12 AM
G
new batch of groceries

i have put a new batch of groceries in the amana fridge and its working fine.
I guess its time to close the thread ,,,how do i do that ?

gascan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: