Kenmore Dryer keeps stopping after 5 or 10 minutes

Old 08-24-07, 08:18 AM
Kenmore Dryer keeps stopping after 5 or 10 minutes

I have a 10 year old Kenmore dryer. The dryer heats fine but recently it started turning off after only about 5 to 10 minutes of drying time regardless of what the time was set to. I would immediately think the timer is shot but wanted advice on anything else to check before just ordering a timer. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-07, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Will it start right back up again if you catch it shut off? Or do you have to wait a number of minutes and then it starts again?

Old 09-03-07, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, it's not he motor overheating or else it would not start right back up immediately after shut-down.

It's not likely the thermal fuse either as often when these go, they plain go, if there is not reset on them. You have to replace them.

Can you stick a thermometer in the outside duct while this happens and tell us what the treading is when it shuts off?

I am a little vexed as to how if any of the stats are shutting down, or even if motor was overheating, how the unit could start up again right away. RIGHT away? You positive it indeed starts right away again, if you are right there and re-hit the start button?

Old 09-03-07, 12:16 PM
We had this exact problem and the diagnosis was not good. Apparently they put in a DC motor control instead of an AC motor control (or was it the other way around?) and the fix was a whole new control board or something like that. A whole series of dryers, about the same age and the very same brand as yours, had this issue and the repair guy was astonished it lasted as long as it did before going kaput. The repair was relatively expensive, and since we were looking at a high efficiency washer/dryer set in the near future anyway, we went ahead and bought new.

Old 09-10-07, 03:44 PM
More info

Thanks for the replies. ECMAN51 - today I went to review what the dryer was doing and gather more info per your request. First i want to state that last week the dryer worked normally so it was like it "fixed itself". Then today it turned off after about 10 minutes as it did before. I then pressed the start button and it did restart immediately. But then in 5 minutes went off again.

I then tried to move the timer to the AUTO DRY setting to see if it made a difference. Same thing - the dryer turned off in 5 to 8 minutes. However after it was on the AUTO DRY setting and went off, I moved it back to TIMED DRY, and now the dryer has been on for 25 minutes straight and still going. This makes me think it is the timer or some sensor. any info is appreciated!

Old 01-13-08, 02:45 PM
I have the same problem on my Kenmore Series 90 Dryer

My Kenmore 90 Series Dryer now 9 yrs old is having the same problem. It runs fine for 3-5 minutes and then shuts off. I tried few different settings for Timed Dry and Auto Dry, same destiny.

I looked at the back of the dryer, only thing I noticed was that power-cable seemed to have one of the 3 wires burnt/ overheated. Could this be the cause--seems more an after effect.

Any other suggestions on what to look for?