Maytag Neptune Overfills

Old 09-07-07, 04:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Maytag Neptune Overfills

I read through the posts and didn't see this specific issue. Please direct me to the correct thread if I overlooked.

I have a Maytag Neptune MAH5500AWW that has worked flawlessly for the past 6 years. Yesterday I ran 3 loads with no issues. On the 4th load, however, the washer decided to fill up with water, water and more water. The filling never stopped and the pressure eventually pushed the bottom of the door open and flooding occurred.

I had to turn the water off at the wall and then run the timer through the spin cycle in order to remove the water from the washer.

I checked a couple things I read about, like th R-11 resistor, but found no problems.

What could be creating the issue of overfilling with water? Has that water valve gone bad or is there a way to test it? Is it the pressure switch? I'm familiar with most of the inner workings of the washer but I'm not sure how to test and determine which one is causing the issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Old 09-08-07, 09:27 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If water stops filling with just the electricty disconnected, but the 2 water valves left on, then it is not the fill valve stuck.

Then it is with the pressure switch or water line going to it. All washers have these. That is how the washer knows how to stop filling. Either the switch itself is bad (if current is going to it), or something is in the line not allowing water properly in the line to activate the switch. Both of these can easily be looked at. The pressure switch rubber tube is the only one that runs from the bottom of the tub area up to the control panel. (I think they are like 3/8 inch tubes, give or take some) You can open up your machine and disconnect it at the tub and at the switch and sometimes see if it has crud in the line, and/or blow thru it and see if there was resistance and if then you can clear it. You could also ream it out with wire.Then you can voltmeter test the switch for volts and continuity if need be.

Old 09-09-07, 06:41 AM
D
I was able to rule out the pressure switch tube being plugged as I was able to easily blow thru it and hear gurgling in the drum.

However, I was having difficulty checking the continuity in the switch. The main reason is that now I am unable to get the washer to run. I press the start switch and the washer will run a few seconds and shut off. Is this related to the pressure switch or does this point to issues?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-07, 09:12 AM
E
So if you have it filled with water, it now just tries to agitate and quits, and starts in again, and quits? Or won't it even fill with water now, steadily?

The fillvalve is electrical solenoid activated. If say, mechanically it does not get stuck, causing the flood of water, but only gets stuck when the washing machine is plugged into the outlet - and now say it doesn't even want to fill, or does so in spurts, I'd have to suspect your fill valve solenoid is shot.

Can you get it to go into the drain out/spin cycle, and will that work?

Old 09-09-07, 01:12 PM
D
Here's what's happening if I'm starting a new cycle.

I press the start button, it begins filling with water, the ON light flashes briefly and then it all shuts off including the filling of water. I've tried various buttons at different settings and the timer at different stages in the cycle and the same thing happens.

Now if I pour water directly into the drum.

I set the timer at the normal/light setting to fill the drum with water. The on /off situation described above occurs. However, when I move the timer to the rinse setting, the washer begins working correctly, except that the water starts filling and continues to fill, even during the drain out / spin cycle. Additionally, I noticed an odd smell during the drain out stage. The door lock light never comes on and the door can be opened at all times as well.

Is it time for a new washer?

Old 09-09-07, 01:23 PM
E
Is this one of these newer styles with the control board?

If so, these things are complicating things in repairs for every product out there imaginable today. What people have to pretty much do is rule out everything else, if you can, and then blame the control board and cross your fingers if you buy one. Techs often have the advantage, over and above their experience because they may have extras on hand where they just try one out and see. But for the DIY'er you don't have that luxury. In cases of landlords who may have lots of rentals, sometimes they can borrow from Peter to pay paul, also. I have done that sort of thing already.

So what you are saying is even if you manually add water, it will not agitate? But then it will perform some other function when it isn't supposed to whben you advance the timer, is this timer some pad type control or mechanical?

Old 09-09-07, 01:41 PM
D
Yes it does have a control board so I assume that makes it one of the newer styles.

When I manually add water, it tries to start but doesn't until I advance the timer (it's round and goes click, click, click - mechanical?) to the rinse position. From that point on, it appears to be functioning correctly, agitating and draining, except for the filling of water continues.

Aargh! Where's the rocks and creek when you need one?

Any final thoughts or does it sound like it's going to expensive to diagnose and repair?

Old 09-09-07, 02:25 PM
E
Sounds like the timer. But I'd hate to be responsible for you buying one and it's not it. Perhaps you could make a deal with your local Maytag appliance repair/dealer and ask them if they have one you can test with and if that is the problem you'll buy a new one from them. I've never heard of anyone doing that but I have thought of that, and may try that sometime and see. I have had 2 licensed furnace guys do that for me with parts already. Actually then they just sell me that part they had laying around their shop, if that is what it was.

I'm trying to think if there is something I am overlooking that is different between the 1st agitate-wash cycle and the 2nd agitate-rince cycles, and I can't think of anything off-hand that is activated differently, or has some other type of safety switch. The timer seems like the only thing.

Old 09-10-07, 03:33 PM
D
My wife is now convinced that it's time for a new washer so I'm going to put this one up for adoption.

Thanks for all the advice. If it had only been a car.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: