Whirlpool icemaker

Old 09-14-07, 11:15 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool icemaker

I have a two-year old Whirlpool side-by-side fridge that has stopped making ice. According to a thermometer, the inside temp is -5 degrees F, the infrared switch seems to work, the water dispenser works, everything works fine except there is no ice. I've been reading a bunch of posts here and several say, it was a "bad" icemaker. What exactly does that mean? Can someone point me to a source for a repair manual?

Thanks,

Ed

Old 09-15-07, 07:58 AM
E
Is it getting water? The fill tube could be frozen.

Old 09-16-07, 01:50 PM
M
I took the icemaker completely out and disassembled it. Everything seems to look fine.

It appears that it doesn't get any water. How can I test if the water in the fill tube is frozen or not?

Old 09-16-07, 02:17 PM
M
With the icemaker removed from the freezer you can look up in the tube with a flashlight. And you can gently stick a screwdriver (a straw might be better) into the tube. If its frozen the screwdriver will likely go in the tube about 2 inches. 6+ would be normal....

Old 09-17-07, 08:35 AM
M
I can push a small tube in for about 6.5".

Old 09-17-07, 11:02 AM
M
Update

I have checked just about everything electrical. The LED blinks as it should and is solid when I close the flapper door. The heating unit has the correct 72 Ohms, the motor runs when I put 115V to it. My question now is: Is this thingy supposed to go through its paces, water or no water? I don't see anything that would tell the icemaker that there is no water in the mold, so it should go 'round merrily. Or am I wrong here?

Old 09-17-07, 02:38 PM
M
Another update

I had the ice maker reinstalled and after cooling down for a while it started the water filling cycle. However, the ejector blades got frozen into place and I took the whole thing out again.

Then I found that the ejector blade drive cam, the piece that connects the gear and the ejector blades had broken one of the two prongs (inside the gear) off and the other one was already bent out of shape, very likely as a result of the many stuck pieces of ice between the ejector blades and the ice stripper.

I am trying to find this piece somewhere online but I'm not holding my breath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: