Dishwasher leaving debris on top rack dishes

Old 09-17-07, 11:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher leaving debris on top rack dishes

Hey all,
I've got a GE Nautilus dishwasher. Lately, we had been noticing the dishwasher leaving little bits of sediment on the top rack dishes. Now it's to the point where it's rendering the dishwasher nearly unusable. I've troubleshooted all over the web and have tried the following:

-I've ran an empty load with vinegar
-I've unscrewed the filter cover on the top...while I couldn't see in (it was an a bad angle), I felt around and couldn't feel any obvious debris. There was a pool of water in it however. Not sure if that's abnormal or not.
-I've checked to make sure the little sprayer tower in the middle is indeed coming up by opening the door mid cycle.
-The water temp is plenty hot.
-I'm loading it correctly in regards to not over-loading, and not blocking sprayers, etc.
-I've experimented with various good, name brand, dish detergents.

A new bit of information which might help a diagnosis: tonight, I washed a load that had a lot of raw steak juices on them. After the load didn't clean a lot of the dishes, I ran a second load, and after that finished, ALL of the dishes absolutely reeked of that distinctive raw beef smell. This was the second load after I had washed that stuff.

I really can't afford a service call right, and consider myself at least fairly handy, so if anyone can guide me in the right direction to taking care of this problem myself, I'd be much obliged!!!!

Old 09-18-07, 01:23 PM
J
To see if the debris was coming from the dishes or from the dishwasher, I ran a completely empty load, with a clean bowl upright in the top rack to collect water, and sure enough it was full of debris when the load finished. Any ideas?

Old 09-18-07, 04:28 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What kind of debris? Food? Plastic? Other? If it is small white plastic that floats, it is most likely from a deteriorated hot water heater 'dip tube'.

Does dishwater water drain out after cycles?

Old 09-19-07, 04:42 PM
J
Thanks for the response!

It's hard telling what the debris is exactly. It looks like little brown and black grains of sand. There was a couple pieces of bright orange debris...I wouldn't think that's food, but other than that, the debris is too small to really decipher.

Old 09-20-07, 04:49 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Doesn't this stuff also wind up in a bowl on the bottom rack? Or,during the wash cylce, if you run it without detergent, can you bail out some water from the bottom into a clear glass and let it settle out and see if it's in there? You'd think it have to be everywhere. And if it's not, do the same test for the rinse cycle water - to see if perhaps solidified scum from jet dry dispensor or something is getting into the water.

Old 09-24-07, 06:28 AM
J
I tried your test, ecman, and it seems you may be onto something with the JetDry idea. It's only happening during the rinse cycle...the wash cycle seems fine. Now how in the world would I go about cleaning out the JetDry dispenser?

Old 09-24-07, 08:03 AM
M
I'd check to be sure that your dishwasher is actually emptying between the wash and rinse cycles.

During a load it should pump out all the used water, normally into an adjacent disposal, and refill with clean water to rinse.

Check to be sure that is happening. It could be as simple as your level switch stuck.

Old 10-05-07, 03:41 PM
J
I checked the water level right after the wash water drained, and the tub looked empty to me. I unscrewed the filter cap, and checked in there again, and it all seems clean. Now there is some water that remains in the filter resevoir, with the water line just below the level of the tub. I thought that was supposed to be there to help keep the seal conditioned, but I thought I'd make sure. There doesn't seem to be anything in that water though. I can run four or five empty loads in a row, and an upturned bowl will collect sediment, so it's got to be something that isn't getting drained out ever, I would think.

Old 10-07-07, 01:12 PM
J
Update: I noticed today that after the dishwasher finished a cycle, there are small bits of food debris stuck to the bottom of the dishwasher. Any way to make it drain that better?

Old 10-08-07, 02:20 PM
D
Originally Posted by JazzCatDRP View Post
Update: I noticed today that after the dishwasher finished a cycle, there are small bits of food debris stuck to the bottom of the dishwasher. Any way to make it drain that better?

Is the drian hose kinked or flattened? Any buildup of gunk in the drain hose? Try letting the dishwasher run and drain into a 5 gallon bucket and see if it's better. If so, then look inside the tube that dishwasher drain hose attaches to [at the sink drain] to see if there are any obstuctions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: