At current temp setting, Amana fridge runs non-stop

Old 09-27-07, 04:25 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At current temp setting, Amana fridge runs non-stop

I have an Amana Top Freezer/Refrig. It was purchased back in 1999, model TX21VW.

I noticed today that the fridge was a little louder than normal. The fridge also ran all day long. Tonight we took a compressor and blew all the dust from around the coils and also removed the fan cover and vacuumed that too.

After that the fridge does run a bit quieter but still has been running now for another 45 minutes. We did have the fridge unplugged but only for about 10 minutes and didn't open the door.

We are set at a 4 for both fridge/freezer (scale 1-7) I did notice some ice on the top of the inside of the fridge, not much though just some droplets that froze.

I was reading about a condensor cord possible being blocked, I don't see that we have one of those. We do have a part inside the fridge that I assume lets air come in from the freezer resembled the heating vent in the car and there is some ice in there.

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-27-07, 04:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When such problems arise, you really need a thermometer in both the freezer and refrigerator section so all of us know more what is happening and over what period of time.

Old 09-27-07, 06:18 PM
N
Thanks for the response. I put a thermometer in both. It's been in there for about 15 minutes and the freezer is reading 27 degrees and the fridge 59, I'll post back in the morning the temp from sitting all night.

Edit: temp reading 1/2 hour after putting in therm. : freezer 14, fridge 53.

Setting has always been set between 3 & 4 so I'm thinking something is wrong. Right now I lowered both down to 2 and the fridge did turn off. Not sure if I should have done that or not.

Old 09-27-07, 06:48 PM
N
Put the setting back up to 4 so that we can do a true test to see what the temp is in the morning.

Old 09-28-07, 05:12 AM
N
This morning after being closed for about 8 hours the temp was: freezer 1 and fridge 40

I did notice a few times last night that the fridge was not running. And when I woke up this morning it was not running.

Maybe as the fridge is getting older it's getting louder and I notice it running more. Not sure. Hopefully there is a way to quiet the fridge down because now I can hear it running up in my bedroom.

Old 09-28-07, 05:14 PM
E
Keep us abreast as to temps and duration of run time and off times. Take temp readings quickly after you open the door so the thermometer does not climb.

Old 09-28-07, 06:13 PM
N
Today average temp was -2 freezer and about 42 fridge. I lowered the freezer a little bit to get it back to around 1-2 degrees.

When it runs it seems to run for at least 1/2 hour then it may turn off for 5-10 minutes and then come back on again.

Old 10-01-07, 05:05 PM
N
No suggestions? It's still doing the same thing, now the temp is around 39 and the freezer around 2 after some adjustments. Still seems to be running frequently. Especially at night I can hear it running (I know what am I doing up at night, I'm a bad sleeper, plus the little ones still get up often)

Old 10-02-07, 05:18 PM
E
Make sure your light bulb shuts off when the door is closed. You should see it go off just before the door closes all the way.

Make sure especially that the bottom fridge compartment door gasket is good, and that it is good all the way around. And make sure your fridge did not become 'racked' where the opening to the fridge compartnment is out of square and with the door closed, you can peer into the fridge compartment where the top door gasket shod normally be covering it.

If these are not the issue and it keeps running laboriously as if it can't ever reach the set temp, then maybe you are slightly low on refrigerant.

And/or the coils froze up inside and with ice build up, the transfer of cool via the evaporator fan is not as good. You can usually remove the back panel in the freezer compartment to take a look, quite easily.

Old 10-02-07, 07:39 PM
N
Thanks for the reply.

The light does shut off.

Last year I replaced the door gasket, it had ripped when pickle juice spilled and turned to green glue

The door is positioned correctly.

I will see if I can take a back panel off of the freezer tomorrow and report back.

Old 10-03-07, 04:26 PM
D
Originally Posted by nicole12 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The light does shut off.

Last year I replaced the door gasket, it had ripped when pickle juice spilled and turned to green glue

The door is positioned correctly.

I will see if I can take a back panel off of the freezer tomorrow and report back.
2 degess in the freezer section and 39 in the chill section is quite good. The midpoint settings on the temp controls are best. For example- if the control has range of from 1 to 7, set it on 4. When you take off the back you might find more dust/dirt. Also, check the fan motor and fan blades underneath. They need to be clean as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: