natural gas smell on cold water wash cycle

Old 10-08-07, 01:04 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
natural gas smell on cold water wash cycle

Hi - my mom has an electric, top loading washing machine (I don't know brand/model yet...she lives a couple hours away).

She reports that since moving into a different place earlier this year, her clothes have a natural gas smell after washing them. However, the scent is strongest when run through the cold water cycle, milder when run through the warm water cycle, and non-existant when run through the hot water cycle.

The gas company has come out to the house and said that it was the washing machine hoses. I presume that he meant those going from the machine to the water hook-ups. I can hardly believe this is the case, as these are the same hoses that were used in the old house and the smell never appeared there.

I should note that the street this home sits on has apparently had some natural gas pipeline issues, as a neighbor a couple doors down had to have the gas company out twice to dig up her line and replaced.

I have no idea how natural gas could be getting into the electric washing machine but have to believe it is a potentially dangerous situation.

The home is fairly old (50-60 years), so were gas and water lines ever linked in some way? Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.

Old 10-08-07, 02:25 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.fadedglory
Hi - my mom has an electric, top loading washing machine (I don't know brand/model yet...she lives a couple hours away).

She reports that since moving into a different place earlier this year, her clothes have a natural gas smell after washing them. However, the scent is strongest when run through the cold water cycle, milder when run through the warm water cycle, and non-existant when run through the hot water cycle.

The gas company has come out to the house and said that it was the washing machine hoses. I presume that he meant those going from the machine to the water hook-ups. I can hardly believe this is the case, as these are the same hoses that were used in the old house and the smell never appeared there.

I should note that the street this home sits on has apparently had some natural gas pipeline issues, as a neighbor a couple doors down had to have the gas company out twice to dig up her line and replaced.

I have no idea how natural gas could be getting into the electric washing machine but have to believe it is a potentially dangerous situation.

The home is fairly old (50-60 years), so were gas and water lines ever linked in some way? Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.

Now that is weird! There shouldn't be any connection between the gas and water piping but who knows? I would stay on the gas companies fanny! That gas is coming from somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: