maytag pav2300aww does not spin

Old 10-28-07, 08:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question maytag pav2300aww does not spin

I hope someone can help me. I have a Maytag pav2300aww washing machine. The agitator works, it empty the water fine, but it won't spin on the spin cycle. I see the belt and pulleys spinning underneath the machine, but the tub is not spinning. Can anyone determine this problem for me and would it be a expensive fix?
Thanks,Ragga900

Old 10-29-07, 05:32 PM
D
How tight are the belts? Notice how the motor slides on 2 rails and the spring puts tension on it and the belts? If the rails are rusty/gunked up clean and lube them. If that's ok, you might need to replace the thrust bearing. Easiest thing to do is buy the "Cheap and Easy Washer Repair" book. All the appliance parts places have them. Those old Maytags are well worth fixing, they'll outlast anything you could buy today.

Old 10-30-07, 04:22 AM
R
Hey Daddyjohn,

The belt is not too tight, but i guess its tight enough for the agitator to work, should i make it tighter?...i'll check the motor glides, is that under the tub or by the actual motor? and what kind of lube is WD-40 fine?

thanks for your reply Daddyjohn

Old 10-30-07, 06:21 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you lay the machine down on it's side carefully on some blanket or something, and if it is in the spin cycle, can you easily turn the largest pulley under the machine, with ease? You should be able to. If not, read on:

I just had this on one of these machines! Same thing. Thought it was belt slippage as belts can appear loose when in fact they are okay. Can be a fooler. I put new belt on because appliance guy thought the belt from motor to transmission (not motor to pump) looked glazed. Turned out new one did not help. Machine agitated but would not spin. I ended up removing the inner tub (the basket). There is a 1/4 inch hex bolt that holds the plastic agitator in, that is located about 6 inches down the side of the agitator. (The agitator must come out first to be able to get the basket out.) You probably will never figure this out/spot it unless you know it is there because it is sort of hidden under this plastic lip of the agitator. But you can indeed spot it with a bright light. It is screwed in horizontally. Once the agitator is out there is a couple other parts to get out in regard to the shaft. I never did one of these before and was able to just figure it out (from all the mechanical stuff I do). The biggest thing to remove is this hub that is maybe 3 inches or so in diameter and if I can remember, you have to unscrew it the opposite direction as normal. I did not have an actual tool for uncscrewing it so I just rapped on it with a cold chisel and hammer and it unscrewed. I was surprised I'd be able to unscrew it after it's being subject to water and detergent for years and years. Once out I reached under the machine and spun the transmission by hand to observe the shaft and bearing area to see what spins and what doesn't. I could see the joint and which part of the bearing area stayed stationary and that which spun. It was orange with rust down there. I crammed high temperature valve stem lubricant down there (happened to have that with me) and rotated it and crammed in more (like packing a wheelbearing). After reassembly, I layed the machine back down on it's side again and turned the big transmission pulley by hand and now it turned as easy as butter. Before, it was very hard to turn.

Whatever you do, you do not want to inflict damage on the rubber seal that passes through the outer tub and is both under and above the tub.

Old 10-30-07, 06:31 PM
R
thanks ecman51 for your info....i'm not sure what i did, but i leaned the washer back and tightend the screws for the glide on the motor and twisted it and the washer started to work....still don't know what the problem was, but it is now working for now.

Old 10-30-07, 07:07 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, thanks for posting back. But keep in mind what I said for possibly some future occurance that may happen to you as it did to me (the rental).

Old 10-31-07, 05:06 AM
R
i definetly will, i'm sure its a matter of time before it reaches that stage..much thanks

Old 10-31-07, 09:04 AM
D
That Mayteg will outlast anything you can buy today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: