GE Dryer won't start

Old 11-07-07, 07:05 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Dryer won't start

Hello all,

I have a GE dryer, model DDE5100MALWH, which will not start. You can twist the timer and hear it clicking, but it sounds like that might be a mehcanical device and not power related. I've heard that there are fuses in the back of some dryers, but i thought i would post first before tearing it apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 11-08-07, 06:28 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How old of a unit is this?

By clicking, do you mean ticking?, like a clock? Other than the ticking if that is what you hear, can you hear anything else?

In what manner did it stop working? Did it go out during the last use, or did you go to use it, after it had previouisly been working fine, and then now it failed to start up?

Have you at all tried to open the unit, like by taking off a front panel, and then turn it on, to try to identify source of sound? Do you have a multitester (volmeter)? , and have you any experience working on electrical things?

Old 11-08-07, 09:03 PM
T
It's probably about 10-12yrs old.

It just didn't work the next time we went to use it.

Ticking from the timer.

I'm not suret the front panel comes off. The back one might, but i didn't want to tear into it until i got a few opinions.

I have a multi-tester, but i haven't been able to locate it just yet. I also don't have much exerieince with household electrics.

Old 11-09-07, 07:03 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't have much time as I have to go to work now - on all this repair type stuff.

But first make sure you are geting 220-240 volts at your recepticle behind your dryer.

If you have two fuses in a panel box, check them first.

To rule out timer on one 120 line and motor on other 120 line: You put your test probes of your voltmeter in the slots that are farthest apart, width-wise to the recepticle. Sometimes unfortunately, test probes will not go all the way in to touch the metal contacts inside, and in that case you will have to either pull your dryer away from the wall and open up your terminal plate cover where the wires go in and probe test the two wires on opposite ends of the terminal block, or you'll have to disconnect your breaker to the dryer momentarily and remove the recepticle cover so you can test inside, after you then turn the breaker back on. Use care and think, when testing 240. Also make sure you set your meter to the 250 volts or more setting and not on ohms as this will instantly destroy your meter.

Old 11-09-07, 07:18 AM
G
Red face GE Dryer won't start

Check on top of the drum when you lift the top. Ther is a thermo fuse. It blows quite often. Check the resistance. The replacement has better insulation so it won' blow as often. This is one strong possibility. Also, check to see that all lint is out of the vent and dryer tube. This causes a build up of heat to blow the thremo fuse.

Paul:

Old 11-11-07, 05:52 PM
T
According to the meter, its getting 252-255 volts. I guess i should check the thermal fuse next. Does anyone know what setting on the meter i should use and what value i should be looking for?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 11-12-07, 02:53 PM
D
Hi Steve:

According to your model # you have the older style GE dryer with the round heater plate behind the drum- decent dryer. Turn off the power to the dryer. Set your multimeter for ohms. When you locate the thermal fuse [behind the drum], remove the wires and test the thermo for continuity. No reading means it's bad, 0 ohms means it's good. Look around in the console, there should be a tech sheet with a wiring diagram.

Old 11-15-07, 09:50 PM
T
I took some pictures while i had it open. I'm thinking the red thing is the thermal fuse. The white thing is the door switch and the last picture is the timer, heat and start controls.

Old 11-15-07, 10:17 PM
T
After doing some research on repairclinic.com, it appears the red thing is the high limit thermostat. There's another one of these very similar located beneath the lint trap, but that matches the picture of the dryer thermstat assembly. That leaves the little gizmo above the red thing which sort of looks likethe thermal fuse on repair clinic. If i used the multi-meter correctly, it only showed a 1. and nothing else. The red thing and the one beneath the lint trap registered about 2.8-3.2.

Old 11-16-07, 06:18 AM
D
Great pics! Did you test for ohms or voltage? Jumper the thermal [the one with the 2 brown striped yellow wires], then try starting the dryer and see what happens.

Old 11-16-07, 05:52 PM
T
Thanks. I take lots of pictures for my job, so posting them isn't an issue.

I was testing for what i think is ohms. It's the setting that has what looks like a pair of headphones for its symbol.

Aside from that, i jumped the wires and it worked fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: