MAGIC CHEF refrigerator

Old 11-08-07, 04:38 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MAGIC CHEF refrigerator

I have a magic chef refrigerator and two days ago we noticed that it wasn't cooling, we check the freezer and it seems to be working good, the same thing happend a year ago but it still have the warranty and they come to check it and what they did was to run hot water through the vents from the freezer to the bottom part; but this time I checked and it's not clogged, the freezer is working.
Any advice?. Thankyou!!!!

Magic Chef
Mo.No. CTL1911GEW

Old 11-08-07, 07:00 PM
D
Hi CC:

So you're saying that the freezer side temp is ok but the fresh food side is too warm? Something is stopping the cold air from getting to the fresh food side. Can you lcate the air damper and see if any air is coming thru? Also, are the coils underneath the fridge clean?

Old 11-14-07, 08:44 PM
C
refrigerator help

I'm sorry, my computer broke and I just got it fixed, I really haven't checked the temperature wiht a termometer in the freezer, but If I put an ice tray in it; it freezes normally, but the temperature in the fresh food it's like room temperature, problably a couple degres colder, I check the vent where the cold air is supposed to go through and it's open, the coils underneath are clean, What I notice is that in that vent where the cold air has to go through is like driping water, it is not a constant dripping but it is dripping.
Tell me what you think.

Thanks again.

Old 11-14-07, 09:15 PM
G
Couple things to check:

Is the fan in the freezer running when the compressor is running? If not, air will not make it into the refrigerator section. It will also make the evaporator frost up.

Is there frost built up on the back wall of the freezer? If so there is a defrost problem and frost has built up around the evaporator so severely that air is not making it into the refrigerator section.

Old 11-14-07, 09:30 PM
C
The first time I checked it when it started to fail, I took the back wall in the freezer and the coil wasn't cold at all, maybe it was derfosting, I just check it and I can see some frost on the back wall in the freezer, when the fan in the freezer is working I can feel some air coming through the vent, but you can just barely feel it, I check the vent too but it's not cloged.

Old 11-14-07, 10:10 PM
G
If you remove the back wall of the freezer, you can check to see if the evaporator is all frosted up. That would indicate a defrost problem.

Old 11-16-07, 02:46 PM
C
I just took the back wall of the freezer and it was al frozen, what's the next thing I can do or check?.

Thanks.

Old 11-16-07, 06:07 PM
G
Three parts are in the system to defrost the evaporator. Defrost timer, defrost thermostat, defrost heater. Most likely one of those components has failed or there is a bad wiring connection. Where your controls are there is a defrost timer. You can advance it manually with a flat blade screwdriver till it clicks and the fans and compressor shut off. That indicates the unit is in defrost. voltage would need to be checked at the defrost heater. When the defrost thermostat is cold, you should have continuity through it. The defrost heater should have some resistance but not be open.

You will need a volt/ohm meter to diagnose the unit.

Old 11-16-07, 10:45 PM
C
I advanced the defrost timer until it clicked and the fans and compressor shuted off, it lasted for ten minutes and then they started to work again, but everything is the same. Is the thing where I advanced the timer supposed to be turning by itself?, because it's not moving, the freezer fun turns on for a while and stops as ituse to be, when the fun in the freezer is working I put my hand under the vents but I barely can feel air coming through.

Old 11-17-07, 06:22 AM
G
The timer is doing at least part of what it should. It should shut down everything and restart the fridge a little while later. That means the defrost timer is running. You will need to check the defrost thermostat and heater to see if there is a problem there. The reason you are not feeling air through the vents is because the evaporator is all frosted up. There is a defrost problem that needs to be fixed. When the freezer fan turns off, does the compressor and condenser fan turn off as well?

Old 11-17-07, 01:42 PM
C
No, when the freezer fan stops the condenser and compressor keep runing, I have a cheap voltmeter if you want me to check something you can tell me what to do, I'm not to familiar with that. I really apreciate what you're doing for me. Thanks

Old 11-18-07, 11:41 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to maybe eliminate one thing right off the bat: Does your model unit have a door switch to the freezer that shuts off the evaporator fan when you open the door?, or not?. Look carefully around the perimeter of the freezer door's jamb.

If the above does not apply - I can't recall, but have you actually inspected the evaporator fan? To check for ice, or loose blade on shaft? And then you could voltmeter test it right when it goes out, to see if there is voltage to it or not, so you know if the motor is acting up or if instead power is being cut off to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: