Kenmore range door won't unlock

Old 11-11-07, 05:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore range door won't unlock

Hello, My wife put our Kenmore self-cleaning electric range model #665.95023101 into tha self-cleaning mode yesterday and it was still cleaning about 6 hrs later and she pressed cancel and now the door won't unlock and the screen is showing an E-1 F-5 error code does anybody have any ideas what we are looking at

Thanks Ted

Old 11-12-07, 02:13 PM
D
Hi Ted:

F5 E1 = latch solenoid not operating or latch switch failure. Shut off the power and take off the back cover. You should see the door latch and switch assembly. When you use the self clean feature, 120 volts is pulsed to the solenoid coil which pulls the plunger into the coil, which rotates the latch arm and in turn locks the door. When self clean is finished, 120 volts is once again pulsed to the latch solenoid pushing the plunger back out, which rotates the arm back and unlocks the door. So, see if you can unlock the door by moving the arm and simultaneously wiggling the door. Was the oven still heating after 6 hours. The default preset for self clean is 3-1/2 hours but the heat shuts off after 3 hours and the oven has a 1/2 hour cool down time before the door is unlocked. At the minimum you're looking at replacing the latch assembly.

Old 11-12-07, 02:30 PM
T
Thanks daddyjohn, that gives me a great place to start and then i will try a cleaning cycle again i was not home when the wife tried it but she did say it was still hot after six hours which concerns me too. thanks again and i may be posting again soon when the cleaning cycle won't stop.

Old 11-12-07, 03:09 PM
D
Well, if it was still heating after 6 hours, you might need to replace the controller. $$$ Check these items first. Locate the door switch [not the latch switch, the other door switch], see if the wires going to it burned or maybe fell off. Try baking/cooking something in the oven and see if it overcooks [moitor the oven temp]. It's possible the the bake relay contact points inside the controller are welded shut.Pull the cable connections apart and see if any of the ends are corroded. Without some further tests it's hard to know if the microprocessor logic got confused or if a component failed. Have you used self clean before? Any problems? There should be a tech sheet on the range somewhere, usually in the console. BTW- Whirlpool built your range.
You can look up the parts at www3.sears.com

Old 11-12-07, 05:09 PM
T
thanks again had more time to check it out and found the tech sheet and went through all the checks in it and as far as i can tell right now is that the latch drive is bad I will pick up part tomorrow and try it we have used the cleaning cycle before this time I was steelhead fishing for the weekend so I am not possitive if the cleaning cycle was still running or not I will check thanks again for the great info

Old 11-13-07, 09:39 AM
D
Hi Ted:

I see yours has the motor type latch assembly which I had forgotten about, sorry. Let us know how you make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: