Noisy Washing Machine

Old 11-17-07, 06:54 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Noisy Washing Machine

My 1998 Whirlpool Gold Series washing machine (model GSL9365EQ0) just started making a high pitch squeky noise during wash, rinse, and spin cycles. What part is going bad? How difficult is it to replace? I've replaced the water pump (twice) and the plastic coupling gears that attach to the motor before.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 11-18-07, 10:47 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you opened it up and ran it to better try to hear where it is coming from? Maybe the bearing under the tub has lost it's grease. Any signs of grease spatter marks around the perimeter of the machine inside, at the height of the bottom of the tub?

Old 11-18-07, 06:24 PM
S
I pulled the cover off today and did not see any grease. When I turn the tub by hand, it was only making the noise at one spot with every rotation. I didn't know how to get it into spin cycle because the door has to be closed for it to spin and the door and cabinet were removed. I pulled off the tub ring and the agitator, but it didn't help. It looks like I need a special tool to too loosen the nut that holds the tub in place. I just wanted to see what was beneath the tub. I believe the sound is coming from beneath the tub. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

Old 11-18-07, 08:21 PM
D
Hi sterr:

You can bypass the lid switch in order to run the machine with the cabinet off. www.applianceaid.com has a picture tutorial. Look underneath the tub bottom on the outside of the tub at the supports; do you see some snubbers there? Do they look worn?

Old 11-19-07, 12:35 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sterracina View Post
I pulled off the tub ring and the agitator, but it didn't help. It looks like I need a special tool to too loosen the nut that holds the tub in place. I just wanted to see what was beneath the tub. I believe the sound is coming from beneath the tub. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sam
On a Maytag I recently did, I got the big nut off with a hammer and cold chisel. Had to unscrew it the opposite way, I believe. I'm sure all machines are different, but sometimes one is forced to get creative. After I took out the tub, I could see where to force in some grease; a slight open joint between what was stationary and the shaft that spins the tub. I did not risk taking any more apart as I did not want to damage the rubber seal, nor go thru any more dismantling than necessary, so I simply forced in grease the way you would with car wheel bearings. This did the trick. The machine quieted down and the whole thing spun much easier. No call backs yet, knock on wood. College girl rental too, where they probably wash clothes 6 times a day.

Old 11-19-07, 08:28 PM
S
I'll take it apart again and bypass the door switch and see what happens. I do remember seeing 3-4 little white plastic rectangular plates that the tub seemed to sit on. I wouldn't really know how thick they should be when new. I assume they would be the snubber you referred to. www.applianceaid.com showed a picture of a round snubber, but I have a parts diagram for my washer, and I don't see a round snubber.

http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/asse...-%20881540.pdf

Thanks,
Sam

Old 11-20-07, 12:42 PM
D
Hi sterr:

This machine design has been on the market since 1985, so WHLP has probably done some tweaking along the way. You'll need to first get it open again and try to pinpoint the noise.

Old 11-21-07, 06:39 AM
S
Daddyjohn -- I haven't had the time to tear into the machine yet, but while washing clothes yesterday, I realized that it also makes this noise during the wash cycle. The drum is not moving in this cycle, just the agitator. Does this info help diagnose the problem? I'll probably go by an appliance parts store later today and buy the wrench needed to remove the agitator (spanner nut wrench).

Thanks,
Sam

Old 11-21-07, 08:05 AM
S
Daddyjohn -- I just noticed that the noise is actually starting the second I push down on the door latch. Even before it has had time to move more than a couple of inches. It's a high pitched whine. I'm starting to think I have a problem somewhere in the gears.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 09-02-09, 06:50 PM
S
It's been nearly 2 years, but I finally resolved this issue. The problem was with the pump. I received a suggestion to removed the pump from the motor just to see if the noise was coming from the pump. It was!!! I then pulled the pump off the hoses to get a better look at it, and a little girlís hair barrette was stuck in it. Thatís all it was!!! I pulled out the barrette, and I now have a quiet washing machine again. All these months I was thinking that I was going to have a major expense to repair or replace the washing machine and it didn't cost a dime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: