Correct Circuit & Wire for Electric Range

Old 11-22-07, 01:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Correct Circuit & Wire for Electric Range

We have propane heat & stove and the price on propane is getting more outrageous than electric so we are converting our gas range to electric. We purchased a used electric range and have no manual. It's a Kenmore (911.91181890). I wanted to see if anyone could answer my question.

We are not sure what size circuit and wire to use to run the range since we do not have a manual. The only thing on the plate on the stove itself states its rated at 9.3 kw. I have read a couple other posts which state the National Electrical Code is 40 amp / 8.3 gauge wire. However, a local guy is telling me I can get away with 30 amp / 10.3. When I went to the local Lowes to pick up the adapter to plug the stove into, the circuit & wire, the adapter itself states its "50A". Does this mean that is the highest it can go or is this what needs to be used? Also, can I get away with 30 / 10.3 with the 9.3 kw rating? I do know it has to be a double circuit. I do not want to burn my house down.

Any information would be helpful! Thanks!

thewainrights

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-07, 11:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi:

You can't use a 30 amp circuit. If a range is rated at less than 12 KW, code does allow a 40 amp circuit. Since you have to put in a new circuit, it's best to install a 50 amp circuit. You never know if you might upgrade your range at a later date. Now here's a problem that needs addressing. Since 1996, 3 wire circuits for ranges are no longer allowed. You'll want to run a 4 wire circuit [2 hots, a neutral and a ground] In the back of the range at the terminal block, you'll find a bonding strap that goes from the neutral connection to the cabinet. You want to remove the strap. You'll also need a 4 prong receptacle and a 4 prong cordset. Again. since you're installing a new circuit, you want to go with what's current. If you upgrade in the future you'll need a 4 wire circuit anyway.