Very Noisy Loud Compressor in Refrigerator

Old 11-26-07, 05:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very Noisy Loud Compressor in Refrigerator

I have a top freezer refrigerator in a rental where the tenant says the compressor is making very very loud noises. I went over and waiting for the compressor to kick in and it made a tolerable loud noise for about 5 seconds but faded quickly within 5 seconds.

Now the tenant says "It still does not happen every time that the compressor kicks in, but the sound has gotten louder and longer. Also, the noise sometimes starts up with the noise in the middle of a "cycle" and not just when the compressor first kicks in."

She says it's really loud but there's no way for me to know if what I heard (the softer noise) is what she's hearing (described as 'very loud').

I REALLY can't buy a new fidge, so what can I check myself?

I am going in tomorrow to check the rubber isolation mounts and then again if I get some replies here on other things to check.

Is the compessor going to go out soon, the tenant is very worried she'll lose all of her food, so I want to know that too.

Thanks everyone! -Tony

Old 11-26-07, 05:47 PM
D
Hi Tony:

Next time it makes the noise, have her record it like on her cell phone or wahtever. The internal mounting inside the compressor might be malfunctioning. It's a crap shoot as to whether it's a problem. I've seen them run for years that way and I've seen them die quickly. I wish I had a more definitive answer. Make sure the coils underneath are clean. It's also possible that the noise could be the fan motor underneath on it's way out. Maybe you'll get lucky and be there when the noise happens.

Old 11-26-07, 06:48 PM
T
I"ll ask her to record it and then I'll post a link to it here.

I'll check the fan, but ther noise I heard was probably the compresor.

Any other things for me to check tomorrow anyone?

Thanks!! -Tony

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: