2-yr-old Electric Dryer smells like it's burning

Old 12-03-07, 03:58 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2-yr-old Electric Dryer smells like it's burning

My sister just gave me a 2-year-old electric dryer. She layed it on its side to drive the two hours to my house. I used it to dry two loads of clothes. The second load wasn't all the way dry, so I put it on to dry for 20 more minutes. Then I noticed it was starting to smell like something was burning. I felt all around the dryer, and the only place that felt really hot was on the top right up against the control panel. I don't know if it smelled the whole way through the first drying loads or not--the dryer is in the basement. My sister did eight loads every wash day with no problems up until last week with this dryer. Could laying it on its side cause a problem? I don't know what else would be different. I'm pretty sure everything is hooked up correctly. Thank you.

Old 12-03-07, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you got it wired up wrong.

Tell us what the wires from the plug are hooked to on the back.

Old 12-03-07, 06:58 PM
D
what is the brand and model #?

Offhand, I'm thinking that laying the dryer on it's side may have dislocated a drum seal. How is your vent pipe/hose? Clean and unobstucted?

Old 12-04-07, 07:25 AM
H
Here's the specs on the 2-yr-old dryer

Maytag Performa
Model # PYET244AYW

The plug is attached to the dryer at a spot halfway down on the left side. My sister unplugged it from the wall when she brought it down, but she didn't unplug it from the dryer, so I'm sure it's in the right place.

Would it still dry okay with a dislocated drum seal? It dryed two loads of laundry with no problem -- until it started smelling like something was burning.

The vent and lint trap are both clean.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-07, 09:44 AM
D
I would have expected poor drying. You'll have to start looking around inside the dryer and see if you can pinpoint the source.

Last edited by daddyjohn; 12-04-07 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-07, 08:36 PM
G
What kind of burning smell? It could be lint burning that got dislodged in the move and sucked up in the heating element.

Old 12-05-07, 10:01 AM
H
I'm not exactly sure how to describe the burning smell, but I did decide to try the dryer again yesterday and it seemed fine. We dried three loads, spaced out throughout the day. So maybe it was a lint thing and it all got burned up?? Thank you for all your help. I'm watching it carefully, but it seems to be fine now. Weird. Thanks again.

Old 12-05-07, 04:18 PM
G
It would be a good idea to remove the front panel and clean any lint that may be in the dryer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: