Amana fridge not cooling but bottom freezer is cooling

Old 12-05-07, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana fridge not cooling but bottom freezer is cooling

I have an Amana french door with bottom freezer refrigerator. The model is AFB2534DES. The bottom freezer is working & cooling perfectly fine but the fridge is not cooling at all. I cleaned the condensor coil at the bottom of the refrigerator. I even unplugged it for about 10 minutes. However, the (top) fridge is still not cooling. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Arlene

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-07, 10:06 PM
If you don't see a bunch of frost built up on the back wall of the freezer (defrost problem) than you might have a damper problem that controls air to the refrigerator. They have had some problems with the dampers failing in these units. How old is the refrigerator?

Old 12-05-07, 10:09 PM
Hi c:

Look inside the Fresh Food compartment and locate the opening where air blows into FF section. Wet the back of your fingers and see if you feel air blowing. My guess is no. Your fridge has all electronic contols. In the FF section, there is a thermister that controls a motorized damper via the main board. The damper controls the air flow into the FF section. Any number of things could wrong, The damper could be inoperative, the thermistor could be bad, bad connctions on the cables, the board could be malfunctioning. The first thing to check would be the thermistor.

You'll probably need to call a repair person who knows that fridge.

Old 12-08-07, 12:01 PM
The refrigerator is 2 years old & out of warranty. I don't see any frost built up on the back wall of the freezer.

Old 12-08-07, 01:22 PM
Did you locate the damper opening in the fresh food section and check it for airflow?

Old 12-08-07, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the actual temp in the freezer compartment, and also that in the fridge section? You could think the freezer is really cold because it has everything frozen (depending on what you have in there), but it might be 20-25 degrees in there which would also up the fridge temp to where it would actually no longer be cold.

Old 12-09-07, 08:31 PM
To DaddyJohn, I could not find the damper opening . I checked for airflow in all section of the fridge. However, I could not feel any.

To Ecman51, my freezer compartment temperature is set to #2, while my fridge is set to #7 (coldest) & yet it's not cooling at all.

Old 12-09-07, 08:45 PM
The airflow enters the refrigerator section at the top/back. The damper is located there. Chances are the damper is bad, but that isn't the only possibility as daddyjohn said. I do know that they have damper problems with these refrigerators.

Old 12-15-07, 05:17 AM
You say the bottom section is working. Does this include the fan?