KitchenAid dishwasher not cleaning dishes

Old 12-06-07, 12:40 PM
Question KitchenAid dishwasher not cleaning dishes

In February 2007 I bought a brand new, nice looking KitchenAid KUDS02SRSS3 dishwasher. It has all the extra scrub options and cycles. Looks great and is really quiet when turned ON.
Notice that I wrote “when turned ON”, and not “when working”. That’s because it DOES NOT CLEAN DISHES.

After cycle is completed there are pieces of food scattered around. Most of glass dishes have baked-on traces of food. These are hard to remove manually, and forget doing this in (KitchenAid) dishwasher.

It’s been 10 months since the purchase and installation. After number of service visits I still I do most of the dish cleaning in the sink.

Servicemen checked all possible to check things including:
Operation - OK
Chopper - OK
Valve – OK
Installation - OK,
Water temperature and preasure – OK
water tested HARD at 120ppm (not VERY HARD)
recommended using Cascade and heavy duty cycle – it did not help.

Before the purchase, I used to have a cheap Whirlpool base model. I worked much better, using cheap detergent and the same water source.
It didn’t look as impressive, and was somewhat louder.

I wish I kept it.

Any ideas as of what could I try to resolve this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-07, 05:58 PM
It's been this way since new? Make them replace it.

Old 12-07-07, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes Received: 5
Hello agatas and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Electric Appliances Forum Topic.

I am not an electric appliances service person.

Possible causes maybe...

Be sure the washer arms freely rotate. Check the holes or slots for debris. Be sure the lower grate is not clogged nor the breather valve on top of the sink. HUmmm...must be more possibilities...drain hose not kinked, bent or restricted.

None of the above...Take the advice already provided. Replace it.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members and/or moderators posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and/or service/repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Helping Out Here Too. Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Web Sites Monitor, Moderator Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-07-07, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by agatas View Post
After cycle is completed there are pieces of food scattered around. Most of glass dishes have baked-on traces of food. These are hard to remove manually, and forget doing this in (KitchenAid) dishwasher.
Hard to remove even manually? Is that from baked on food from the stove or oven or is it from dishes that sat too long and the wet food dried on?

Do you happen to know if your new dishwasher has a shorter wash cycle time compared to your old one, due to possible new guidelines for energy and water savings requirements maybe?, or the hot temp is not as hot as the old one?

Yes, you could make them replace it, but if all is technically in order you will probably receive the same set of problems, be my guess, with this make and model.

Have you tried to do a web search to contact others with same dishwasher and complaint? In a way, this be similar to learning of a "service bulletin" put our on a a particular make and model year car where all same cars share same potential problem.

Let us know what you resolve here and please post back what the final cure was, please.

Old 12-08-07, 09:44 AM
I couldn't find any service updates at WP's website.
www.servicematters.com
It seems like it's draining issue. Does the drain hose loop up underneath the sink area before it connects to the sink drain? The dishwasher has a check valve in it's drain oulet. Has that been checked or replaced? If the check valve is faulty, dirty water could be reintroduced into the machine and cause what you are experiencing. I still think that after many service visits without resolution, the retailer owes you a new machine.

Old 12-11-07, 10:09 AM
Daddyjohn:
It's been this way since new. For a while I contributed it to my 12 yrs old son's loading. But after I started checking loading regularly - and finding his loading to be OK. I started calling for service.

Sharp Advice:
None of the above...
Not sure how to go about replacing it. Last time I called (to schedule next service) I asked what other options are available, if service visit does not help. They said that they can get "technical support" and only service person on-site can arrange it. There was no mention of a possibility of replacement.

Ecman51:
Baked-on pieces of food are on the clear glass that came into dishwasher clean (like after drinking water in from the glass)

The new dishwasher cycle is longer then the cycle of the old one by 50-100%

Hot temp is the same (set by my hot water tank termostat).

From opinions I've seen on Epinions.com this model is really lousy and others have similar problems

Daddyjohn:
The is no outside loop. The serviceperson (installer from the place where I purchased the dishwasher) said that the loop is already inside the dishwasher.

One of the reports shows that "Valve" is checked. Not sure if that means "check valve". Is there an easy way to check it? Not sure how to identify it.

Thanks for all the responses.
agatas

Old 12-11-07, 10:12 AM
powder

One more thing:
Some of the powder often stays in the disposer. Kind of soft soap, semi solid.
I tried variety of brands of detergent including Cascade's "best powder we have".

Old 12-11-07, 04:04 PM
Well all I can say is if the tech's can't point to a problem in your house and they can't find anything wrong with the machine, then I feel that either the retailer or Whirlpool owe you a new machine. Your old machine cleaned dishes ok, so it must be the machine or the installation.

Old 12-11-07, 04:53 PM
Have you been monitoring all the cycles to see if it drains out and rinses? Have you slung the door open in mid-wash cycle (be prepared tro get a little wet and quickly mop up floor) to see if spray arms are really slinging the water while you still have plenty of water in bottom of dishwasher? Have you opened machine at end of drain cycle to see if it is draining out or otherwise hear it going down the drain?

Yes, you are owed a fix or new machine (and time is running out!), but we are left here in the meantime with trying to solve your mystery.

Old 12-14-07, 06:08 AM
daddyjohn:
I feel the same. Question is if the retailer or Whirlpool is going to rush to bring (and install)new machine. This one was not installed by them (I installed it, just as the previous one. Service tech confirmed that installation is OK). Tasco asked somewhere around $300 for installation.

ecman51:
The service tech did some (or all?) of that on the last visit.
The machine surely drains as there is no water at the end (and there is water in the mid-cycle).
The cycles are long (over 60min) and I think the machine takes water and drains it out more than once. How am I to check and how to know at which point to open and what to look for?
I have next service tech visit this coming Monday (Dec 17, 07). Is there anything I should ask the service tech to do or check?

The service checks have been done at first by the Whirlpool primary and then by the independent service company.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-14-07, 07:36 AM
If you run a load of dirty dishes, through the entire cycle, and then try putting clean dishes in the dishwasher, will those too then get baked-on food stuck to them, I wonder?

Old 12-17-07, 09:53 AM
Angry The third sevice visit - still no solution to dirty dishes

So the next service guy checked it and said there is no problem and the dishwasher works great.
As for dirty dishes he said the problem is on our side - probably hard water. He said that without a water softener nothing is going to change. And they can't and won't do nothing.
What a guy! What a company!
And for that I wasted a day off work!

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND STAY AWAY FROM KITCHENAID !!!

Old 12-20-07, 11:06 AM
worthless warranty from Kitchanaid

So I called Whirlpool again and I was told that, according to the serviceman report, my dishwasher works great.

They will not escalate the case to the next level (whatever it migh be ?)a s they promised before, and they will not take the appliance back or replace it. Another way: They leave me with a piece of junk on my own - within original warranty period.

The fact that it doeas not clean dishes is (I was told) "NOT RELEVANT" !!!

And I paid extra for an extended warranty! What good it is if the original warranty is worthless?

The only recourse I have is to write a letter TO THEM (service centre).

Old 12-20-07, 11:13 AM
Exclamation Whirlpool management names are classified?

I tried to find a name of CEO or president of Whirlpool Canada or perhaps other executives names on the net - no such thing.

US management names are all there, but canadians are hiding their names. What are they afraid of? Angry consumers like me?

These guys are good.

Old 12-20-07, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Unclean dishes

Just a note...
Consumer Reports just had an article w/in the last few months. Some of the more expensive and higher end machines actually did a worse job cleaning, than the more basic machines. And due to higher efficiency requirements, most were not as effective as machines from a few years ago.

Sometimes progress is a step in the wrong direction

Best in 2008

Old 12-20-07, 01:08 PM
agatas,

Did he have some equipment to test for hard water?

IF the water is unreasonably 'hard', let's say, - then I actually side with the company. [Sorry to say]

If you think about it, they can't help it if their machine is not at fault and you have a water quality problem.

Suppose you had a washing machine and you angrily called up the washer company saying their machine will not clean the orange out of your clothes. And then they send out a tech and the tech finds out you have high iron content in your water. Should the washer company be liable for that?

Old 12-21-07, 12:09 PM
It should

ecman51:
The water has been tested by every one of the techicians that came. The results were consistently showing water hardness "hard" (but not "very hard").

One technician volunteered comment that this was "not hard enough to cause this kind of the problem".

I may be wrong about a water but this guy deals with these day-in and day-out.

And what about a previous dishwasher that has worked great on the same water for years?

Suppose you had a washing machine and you angrily called up the washer company saying their machine will not clean the orange out of your clothes. And then they send out a tech and the tech finds out you have NORMAL water quality and temperature. Should the washer company be liable for that?

I think it should.

Old 12-21-07, 04:52 PM
Was it the dishwasher- brand authorized agent that volunteered that he could not see the amount of hard water you have as causing that? If so, you have some kind of case I suppose.

I hear what you are saying about how the other brand cleaned with your water, but the new brand doesn't.

Keep pestering them, I guess. Infer BBB, contacting consumer affairs, small claims, etc., if need be. Squeaky wheels often get greased. Good luck.

Old 12-28-07, 08:50 PM
Exclamation Canadian ways?

Last time I checked BBB was not operating in Canada.

If you have any experience/knowledge of the options available in Ontario, Canada I would appreciate any input.

Anybody had any luck raplacing the KitchenAid dishwasher ever (US or Canada)?

If you can - PLEASE HELP. At this point it seems that the only option I have is to ditch $1400 piece of junk and buy a new one.

One may think that I am kidding here - but I am not. This really happends.

Old 12-29-07, 09:55 AM
What would make this dishwasher worth $1400? I can't remember if it is all stainless steel? Even so. What features does this have that some other one, say $350 one, does not have?

Old 01-02-08, 12:08 PM
Stainless, adjustable racks, jet's, delayed start, brand name, taxes (15%) - all contributed to the $1400 total

Old 01-02-08, 03:39 PM
So what then have you decided to do?

Old 01-02-08, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
taxes?

OUCH 15%!!!! thought 7.5 was bad!!

Old 01-08-08, 10:11 AM
Thumbs down one more feature

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
What would make this dishwasher worth $1400? I can't remember if it is all stainless steel? Even so. What features does this have that some other one, say $350 one, does not have?
One more feature of $1400 KitchenAid dishwasher KUDS02SRSS3 that $350 dishwasher doesn't have: It leaves dishes dirty and scattered food inside after the washing cycle is completed.

I know - I used to own a $350 one (Whirlpool)that wouldn't do it

Old 01-08-08, 10:20 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
So what then have you decided to do?
Whirlpool service definitely decided not to do anything else to remedy the problem.

I contacted the dealer (Tasco) to seek help as advised by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. They say that the complaint should be addressed to the people I paid $$.

Awaiting response.

Old 01-08-08, 11:22 AM
no new machine. New check valve?

Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
I couldn't find any service updates at WP's website.
www.servicematters.com
It seems like it's draining issue. Does the drain hose loop up underneath the sink area before it connects to the sink drain? The dishwasher has a check valve in it's drain oulet. Has that been checked or replaced? If the check valve is faulty, dirty water could be reintroduced into the machine and cause what you are experiencing. I still think that after many service visits without resolution, the retailer owes you a new machine.
Contrary to popular belief, replacement is not possible, ever (please let me know how if you know otherwise).

Now about that check valve - how do I check it (I don't think service guy did check that)?

Old 01-08-08, 02:37 PM
Try smearing peanut butter in glasses up top and on dishes below and see if that comes clean. If so, then it would seem like some problem other than the ability of the dishwasher to wash the dishes clean. That if this is the case (that it CAN wash off the peanut butter everywhere inside), then your ("baked on" food stuff must be recirculating and not getting all drained out.

Old 01-15-08, 09:29 AM
What's the point of trying to find the problem if Whirlpool already KNOWS that the only problem is hard water.
They said that they will not send a technician anymore until I installed a water softener. Only THEN they can check it again.
Even If I found out and told them what was the problem - they don't want to hear it!

The only options considering such a stand are legal .

Here is the first step (registered letter to the dishwasher dealer - Tasco Distributors ):

http://users.auracom.com/slawek/Kitc...to%20Tasco.htm

I will keep you posted of future actions.

Old 02-01-08, 11:29 AM
Contrary to what I wrote before, refund is obtainable. After 3 months of efforts, some 30+ phone calls and a couple of letters, I managed to get a full refund for a dishwasher
. Currently testing new dishwasher.