Kenmore laundry center spin tub removal

Old 12-12-07, 05:57 PM
Kenmore laundry center spin tub removal

I have a washer / dryer combo, vertical type, model 417.98802891, that quit spinning - (sometimes). I found the motor hot and would kick out on its thermal overload. I bought a new one and it still (sometimes) won't spin. Now finally I hear a squeaking when it agitates that we didn't hear before. I'm guessing it's in the transmission somewhere and the noise is some sort of bearing failure. I have it apart as far as I can get it which is why I am now here seeking advice.
How do I get the spin tub off the trunnion..? Of the 5 bolts removed one hole was marked with double pointers which means something to somebody, but has me clueless. Once I get that removed then I can get the outer tub removed and keep going enough to hopefully find where the failure is. Hopefully.
Thanks a lot, Chad

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-07, 01:37 PM
Must have been a stumper of a question.
But I did mamage to get it off the trunion and boy - what a job. Just in case anyone else comes across this thread with the same problem here's what needed doing. Whap down on the agitator shaft with a nice heavy rubber mallet while pulling up on the spin tub. It took a lot of whacks (a lot of whacks) but finnaly popped off. What happens is the trunion (aluminum) gets gosh awful corroded and jams itself tight to the basket.

Old 12-17-07, 05:16 PM
I can revamp that last statement now that I've delved into this repair deeper. That trunnion actually holds the tub seal together correctly. There is a bar that fits into a flat machined in the agitator shaft that holds the trunnion where it belongs. If I would have removed the two bolts holding that bar the trunnion and tub could have come out together. Much easier.