GE Fridge - makes & dispenses ice, but water stopped working

Old 12-16-07, 06:39 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a 4 y.o. GE side-by-side w/ an ice and water dispenser.

The water dispenser was working fine, but a couple days ago it stopped dispensing water. It still makes ice and dispenses ice.

When I select water and press the dispense arm, I can hear the circuitry working, but no water comes out. I checked the filter (it's fairly new); why would the ice work but not the water?

This is very perplexing!

Frank

Old 12-16-07, 12:45 PM
D
Hi Frank:

Refrigerator water valves are two valves built in one assembly. One solenoid is for the icemaker, the other for the water dispensor. It sounds like the dispensor side has stopped working. Locate the valve on the back of your fridge and see if you're getting voltage at the valve coil when the dispense arm is depressed. If yes, replace the valve. If no, maybe the microswitch at the dispense arm is malfunctioning.

Old 01-07-08, 06:36 PM
F
UPDATE: GE Fridge - makes & dispenses ice, but water stopped working

Originally Posted by daddyjohn View Post
...Locate the valve on the back of your fridge and see if you're getting voltage at the valve coil when the dispense arm is depressed. If yes, replace the valve. If no, maybe the microswitch at the dispense arm is malfunctioning.
I assume you meant, "If yes, maybe the microswitch at the dispense arm is malfunctioning. If no, replace the valve."?

I tested the voltage to the solenoid and that checked out. I ended up replacing it because I broke a push lock. I also replaced the filter while I was at it. The water dispenser still doesn't work.

I tested the micro-switch; when I touched the two connections and pushed the trigger in the dispenser light comes on and I hear a humming from the rear of the refrigerator, but I don't get a voltage reading on the meter.

Is it possible for the switch to be bad, but still turn the light on?

- Frank

Old 01-07-08, 06:45 PM
D
GE fridge

Make a small jumper wire & touch it between the 2 terminals on dispenser switch. If you get water, switch is bad.

Old 01-07-08, 07:00 PM
F

I'll try that, but I got to thinking - if the switch is bad, wouldn't the ice dispenser door also not work? The fridge makes and dispenses ice...

How can I test the water tube for a blockage?

- Frank

Old 01-08-08, 05:50 PM
D
GE fridge

Could be possible water line is froze if it goes into a reservoir for chilled water in fresh food section. Not sure if yours is like that. Any problems with frozen foods in fresh food side?
You might try turning the cold control down a number or two & giving it 24 hrs. to stabilize then try the water again.

Old 01-09-08, 09:32 AM
R
Do you have a diagram for your refrigerator? My GE side-by-side is about seven years old and it has four (4), not just two valves...two for water and two for ice. This is to accommodate using the filter for both ice and water. If you think about it, if you only open one valve as the main water comes into the fridge, what directs it to the icemaker or door after it exits the filter?

So, in this design, two are needed before the filter so that the filter is not pressurized when water is not needed. Then two more after the filter to direct the flow. There are other ways to do this...not all manufacturer/models are the same. However, this is the way, my 7 year old GE works.

Good luck,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: