Whirlpool Dishwasher leak at bottom of door

Old 12-28-07, 04:57 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Dishwasher leak at bottom of door

I have a 6-year-old Whirlpool Gold Quiet Partner dishwasher. It has started leaking under the door - it leaves a large puddle in front of the unit - about half the time.

It seems to be that when it starts, a rush of water comes out of a vent at the bottom. There is a small trough underneath this vent, so it looks like some water is expected to come out, but it seems like the trough is getting overloaded and overflows. It then starts dripping underneath the door.

Any ideas any one?

Thanks
ken

Old 12-29-07, 10:04 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you using the same detergent as you used to?; not more sudsy?

Is the water level too high due to crusted float that is now heavier and no longer floats as easy? [Note that gaskets often have seperation at bottom of door and that is okay. Under normal circumstances water will not spray, leak or slosh out of that gap, believe it or not.]

Have you ever tried cleaning your door gasket? It may have crud on it.

Have you ever tried to adjust the door catch to make the seal tighter?

Have you made sure spray arm freely rotates and is not stationary pointing at door? Does it do it when unit is empty also?, to rule out the way you load machine that spray is bouncing off something inside weird.

Is the face of the door plumb or leaning back slightly?, as opposed to leaning forward (not good in case leak around top of seal area and can run farther out toward the front)?

Old 12-29-07, 12:44 PM
K
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Are you using the same detergent as you used to?; not more sudsy?)?
Yep, same detergent

Is the water level too high due to crusted float that is now heavier and no longer floats as easy? [Note that gaskets often have seperation at bottom of door and that is okay. Under normal circumstances water will not spray, leak or slosh out of that gap, believe it or not.]
I don't think so, I didn't see anything, but I will look again. That's a good point

Have you ever tried cleaning your door gasket? It may have crud on it.
Nope. There is a bit of crud on it, I will clean, but the source of the leak doesn't seem to be the gasket

Have you ever tried to adjust the door catch to make the seal tighter?
Nope, but the source of the leak doesn't seem to be the gasket. I will check

Have you made sure spray arm freely rotates and is not stationary pointing at door? Does it do it when unit is empty also?, to rule out the way you load machine that spray is bouncing off something inside weird.
I believe it is, but will give it a more thorough look-see. I have experimented with various loading techniques, but I see no correlation - yet

Is the face of the door plumb or leaning back slightly?, as opposed to leaning forward (not good in case leak around top of seal area and can run farther out toward the front)?
I don't think it would have changed since installation

Thanks for all the ideas, I will check on this stuff. Any other ideas appreciated as well!

Old 12-30-07, 06:56 AM
E
The fact you have a puddle in front of the door, led me to believe something with the door has something to do with it. Or else fill level is to high, as stated.

I am curious how you can not think it is door-gasket related if puddle is in front of the door? Have you taken the toe-kick plate off to make sure leak is not under unit and running out to the front?

Old 12-30-07, 11:30 AM
K
I have taken the front off the door and started the dishwasher. I have seen a surge of water coming out of the vent that is beneath the silverware tray. So I believe it is that.

However, perhaps that isn't the only thing that is doing it, so I will check everything you have suggested.

Old 12-30-07, 12:26 PM
E
Ah. That's right. So now it sounds perhaps like a bad circulation problem. Instead of pulling water into the sump, freely, to circulate or to drain out, you probably get this back-blast from it spinning, but not pulling as it should, as a guess. Other opinions welcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: