Thermador Oven Display Has Dimmed

Old 12-29-07, 01:29 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermador Oven Display Has Dimmed

Over the last few weeks the the display (time/temp) on our Thermador SC320 oven has gradually dimmed, the temp display is now totally out and time display barely visible. Other than that, the oven is functioning normally

I fear the worst - replacement of an expensive electronic/control module just to display the oven temp - what is the diagnostic procedure and is there a third party/rebuild/refurb source for what I will likely need to replace?

(I realize one option is substitute a convention oven thermometer, and leave this un-repaired.)

Thanks

Old 12-29-07, 03:38 PM
G
Unfortunately the only way to repair the unit is to replace the display/board kit. It is somewhat pricey repair, but a new Thermador oven is also very expensive.

Old 12-29-07, 03:46 PM
M
Originally Posted by gdoug View Post
Unfortunately the only way to repair the unit is to replace the display/board kit. It is somewhat pricey repair, but a new Thermador oven is also very expensive.
Assuming I swap it out myself, can a end user purchase the replacement unit? Do you know the approximate cost?

Thanks

Old 12-29-07, 03:57 PM
G
If you are fairly handy, you can do it yourself. However, the kit that you replace consists of two boards, the display board and a power relay board. There are multiple wires that will need to be correctly swapped to the new board. It can be a bit tricky. I just make a diagram on a sheet of paper with all connections and what color wire goes on that connection.

It has been so long since I have done one of these, I don't remember what the part cost is. You will need to find an appliance company that sells parts for Thermador.

Old 12-29-07, 05:49 PM
M
Thanks for your assistance!

Old 12-30-07, 03:19 PM
I wasn't able to find a parts list for your model. Here are some Thermador display modules, and they all run about $250
http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...artsearch.aspx

Thermador is one of those "orphan child" brands. Parts are difficult to find, and the older it is, the harder it is to find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: