Electric Dryer (Kenmore Elite) won't heat, lots of testing

Old 01-28-08, 02:32 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Dryer (Kenmore Elite) won't heat, lots of testing

Hi All,

I hope someone has some sage advice, 'cause I'm out of ideas.

We have a 5 year old Kenmore Elite dryer. A month or so ago it stopped heating. I found a series of excellent videos online that walked me through a ton of tests. I also found the service manual (inside the dryer, under the timer) and ran all the tests under the "Dryer Won't Heat" section. Here's what I did:

* checked continuity on the heating element (ohm meter check: continuity and no shorting against housing)
* checked continuity on both the thermal cut-off and high-temp. cut-off (ohm meter check: continuity verified)
* checked the thermostat (continuity)
* checked the thermistor (ran automated tests from the manual, checked fine)
* checked the centrifugal switch on the motor (continuity in the closed position (had to take off the front of the dryer for this one: a pain!)
* checked all of the manual recommended continuity checks on the timer (all fine)
* checked voltages at the inputs to the dryer (all fine: 120 with neutral and 240 both hot (outside connectors))
* pulled the heating element and hardwired it to a plug (it heated up)

Any other ideas? I'm stuck, stuck, stuck.

Thanks!
ken

Old 01-28-08, 05:35 PM
D
Kenmore dryer

Yep. That about covers it all except maybe a broken wire somewhere. Highly unlikely though. I ran into a similar problem & was pulling my hair out untill I turned the timer knob a few times while it was running & got it to send power to element in certain positions at different times. Turns out a contact in timer was bad. Might be giving you a false ohm reading while off. Worth a shot.

Old 01-29-08, 08:45 AM
K
Thanks. It was certainly worth a shot. Unfortunately, still no go. I tried about every timer combination I could think of and no heat.

I think I have to call in the cavalry (a Sears repair tech.)

Old 03-10-08, 11:50 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did the Sears tech find the problem with your dryer?

Old 03-11-08, 01:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Got a model # you might have a bad heater relay. in control panel there are 2 relays center relay has 4 wires to it, to large and 2 small wires going to it. yurn machine on in a heat position, use volt meter across the 2 large wires and if reading 220 relay is bad. if 0 relay OK, need model # to tell if you have that drier.

Old 05-29-08, 01:37 PM
D
Same Problem

I have the same problem...about to call the Calvary as well. Can you let me know what the trub was?

Old 05-29-08, 04:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you check the stuff Ken did in his OP? No heat on both timed and auto cycle? If yes, sometimes timer itself can be the cause.

Old 05-29-08, 07:30 PM
G
Does the drum turn with just air circulating & no heat or is the power off.
Repair call & timer will be about half the price of a new dryer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: