Excessive Dryer Lint Problem

Old 02-18-08, 10:05 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excessive Dryer Lint Problem

We have had ongoing problems with major lint particles around our home on the main floor. Our laundry room is located off the kitchen and from the other side of the laundry room is the Master bath & bedroom. There always seems to be excessive airborne lint and continual heavy buildup in the Kitchen and master bedroom. My wife folds all the laundry in the master bedroom. The lint build up is even worse on
the weekends when she runs the laundry through. This is driving us crazy and we are about at wits end and have no idea what to do about it. A couple points I should bring up. The dryer vent run is a bad setup. it bends down through the floor then bends to go sidways, that run is approx 4'. From there another bend, then a approx 12-14' straight run. Yet another bend, then straight run for approx 4 - 5', and finally one more bend leading to the outside. We purchased a new dryer about a year ago and that did not help. I have checked the run for holes and have not found any. I have also checked the vent behind the dryer and it is ok. I did check the vent outside and it is venting. One thing I have not done is clean the vent run.
Does anyone have any comments on where or why there is so much lint particle in our home and what we can do to fix the problem?

Old 02-18-08, 10:18 AM
Wink

To long a run there for the unit. Can you go right on up and out the roof. In vent pipes and CFM you have to look at a
90oL in the pipe as 5 more ft of pipe. So you have a long long run there. Could take it all down and clean it out. Any screws in it? They can catch a lot of lint and close up the pipe some.

Old 02-18-08, 10:45 AM
S
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
To long a run there for the unit. Can you go right on up and out the roof. In vent pipes and CFM you have to look at a
90oL in the pipe as 5 more ft of pipe. So you have a long long run there. Could take it all down and clean it out. Any screws in it? They can catch a lot of lint and close up the pipe some.
I suppose we could go through the roof. We live in Canada, cold climate in the winter, not sure if that matters. The bad thing about the current run is the basement ceiling is gyprocked in so there is no access unless we tear the ceiling apart. Also the bend in the run leading outside is the light plastic type ribbed material. Not ideal dryer venting hose. Do this long run make sense to you as to why all the airborne lint or where it would be coming from?

Old 02-18-08, 11:22 AM
Wink

Well if I look at the drag in the pipe Id say its like 43ft long . No way will it work. They have vents now that will go into the overhang on a home. Can you go up in the attic and out the overhang then. Do you have anything in the home that can or would suck back air from the drier?? Fireplace ,vent fan in bath and kitchen????

Old 02-18-08, 11:56 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The set up you have is definitely to long and if you are using the plastic corrugated venting you also have a fire hazard.

It would be best to find a different route for the vent.

Old 02-18-08, 01:04 PM
S
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Well if I look at the drag in the pipe Id say its like 43ft long . No way will it work. They have vents now that will go into the overhang on a home. Can you go up in the attic and out the overhang then. Do you have anything in the home that can or would suck back air from the drier?? Fireplace ,vent fan in bath and kitchen????
We have a gas fireplace & wood burner along with 3-bathroom fans all on top. If we went out the overhang I would think the fireplaces & fans should be ok.
The laundry room is in the middle of the house...so we have 8' to the cieling then 17' over the the eve. Does that sound workable? Can you give me more details on this setup. thnxs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: