GE Wall Oven circa '85 manual timer

Old 02-23-08, 08:21 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Wall Oven circa '85 manual timer

Of course it could be something else, but the dang thing doesn't work now, no probs with fuses.

this model, (unknown number), has from right to left: - a mode dial, click settings, a temperature setting dial, no click, then a larger clock with red hands and a white hand for one hour timing, then two small clocks above and below, upper for start time and lower for stop time.

I'm pretty sure there's something preventing them from releasing, and I have no manual. It seems the big clock "pushes" the two small timer clocks along as the time advances.

I've got them to pop out (which should mean the timer clocks have been released, but), tried every configuration (except I suppose the proper one) but no go. Seems I got it to work after such a 'jam-up' twice before, but can't work out what I did, can't duplicate and don't understand principal

Alternatively, something has broken behind the panel or with the clocks, did so 'intermittently' before (which is why I got it to go again twice before), and is now really broken
HELP!!

Old 02-24-08, 06:59 AM
T
Follow up

My Friends, I've read all the posts on Wall Ovens: - There's nothing about this problem. I'm largely certain that there's nothing obvious wrong with the main stove functions: - It holds it's heat accurately (if perhaps a couple of degrees warm), and top and bottom elements work excellent and quickly when it DOES function. It's a really old model I guess so perhaps there's noone online here who's familiar with the model, or the instruction manual for same.
I can speculate that some mechanical link has jammed up, after all the control panel has probably not been opened in over 20 years! But it may be that with my 'fiddling', I've managed to 'lock' the manual (mechanical) timer so that the mode control and the temperature knob no longer are able to switch on....
I'm sorry that I don't have the model number, nor can I get it without removing the Wall Oven from the wall....!
To quickly review - (a hopefully helpful 'word picture'): - This is NOT an electronic, or even partially electronic control panel, it's all gears and levers.
From right to left these are the controls: -

First Knob that controls the modes/settings: - Broiler (top element); Bake (bottom element); a symbol that I believe means both top and bottom elements, though it may be a 'warming' or 'defrost' setting - I've never used it, and a Bake setting (bottom element) that has a clock picture beside it - (again, I've never used this), and of course the Off setting.
Second Knob A gradated temperature knob from 200 to 500 degress F shown on outer ring and Celcius on inner ring, (I'm in Canada) with a symbol for the Broil temp beyond the 500 F mark.
The Clock - Red hour/minute hands, and a white single hand that can be turned to up to one hour, when it reaches end buzzer sounds
The Timers - One tiny clock to Start Time above, and one tiny clock to Stop Time below, both with a single 'hour hand'
All three clocks have small silver knobs in their middle, to turn the time. The Timer knobs are 'set' by pushing them, then if you go around the dial, they 'pop-out', with should mean 'they are released', but no go, sorry. Instead, it seems that the Timer knobs 'advance' in concert with the big Clock, if you turn one, it 'pushes' on the other two.
What's been happening (several times now) is for some reason, it seems to 'jam-up', and only the broiler setting on the First Knob lights up the indicator light, as does the 'middle' or 'warming' setting, (whatever it is). The Bake setting, and the Bake w/timer (clock picture) setting do not light. Sometimes I can run the broiler when this happens, sometimes not, or it seems it doesn't fully heat up. Useless for baking of course, either way.

UPDATE!!!! Just went down to look at the thing again, and Lo and
Behold
Everything is working again. But PLEASE NOTE: - I did NOthing since I posted last nite, didn't touch it. This has happened before.
There is simply some basic principle I'm missing here, and lacking a manual I'm a-feared I'll be standing there again with bread dough ready to bake, and Yikes!!
Can anyone out there explain to me what I'm doing Wrong? Or refer to me an ancient Manual??

Much appreciated. I suppose a retired appliance guy/lady would know at this point....

You may certainly email me or post here, I'll keep checking back.

Old 02-24-08, 08:15 PM
T
Thumbs up

I had an electronic range timer repaired by this company a couple of years ago and it has worked fine ever since.

http://www.appliancetimers.com

According to their website they also do mechanical range timers and they have been in business for 40 years so they should be able to deal with your 1985 model.

Old 02-25-08, 06:55 PM
T
A Clue!

Thank you so much, thekirksway - I really hope they can, because IT JUST DID IT AGAIN!

Originally Posted by thekirksway
I had an electronic range timer repaired by this company a couple of years ago and it has worked fine ever since.

According to their website they also do mechanical range timers and they have been in business for 40 years so they should be able to deal with your 1985 model.

Old 02-26-08, 06:54 AM
T
Likely Resolution

Thank you again thekirksway, the appliancetimers folk were amazing: - I left email last nite and they were on the phone this morning. After explaining what the oven was doing, the 'mechanical timer' woman authoritatively said that, since the timer buttons were 'popping out' OK, it was extremely unlikely there was anything wrong with either timer or my programming, and it was much more likely an intermittent short in a wire between the mode selector and temp control, or further along - and to call a local appliance electrician.
So, Progress!
Originally Posted by thekirksway

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: