Whirlpool Microwave Hood Vent problems

Old 03-09-08, 08:04 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Microwave Hood Vent problems

We have the Whilrpool above the stove microwave with the filtered hood vent to suck out all the grease, smells etc from the stove, but is not working and has never really worked well to begin with.
It has all the filters and mess filters in place, bought all new just to eliminate that as a possible problem.
My wife frys chicken or steaks or anything fried the entire house fills up with grease and or smell of whatever she is cooking.
The filters are suppose to not allow this to happen and re vents them through the top of opening in the microwave back out into the air. It sends it back out but it has all the smells and all the grease with it deposting it on everything in the room.
Reading the manual it is suppose to eliminate this. What can I do to fix this problem? The filters are not trapping anything.
Any hekp woulid be much appreciated!

Old 03-09-08, 08:35 PM
Is this supposed to be vented to the outside of the house?

Old 03-10-08, 07:43 AM
H
It is not vented outside. It is self vented with the two filters.
The stove in too far away from the outside wall to vent outside.

Old 03-10-08, 09:43 AM
Ok,

Look at your owners/installation manual. Sometimes there may be a small plastic "Diverter plate" that must be removed or installed, depending on venting type. I figured this out on my unit, after I had thrown the diverter away.

Old 03-10-08, 09:51 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Alas, 'recirculating" type kitchen fans do NOT eliminate odors and trap only a portion of airborne particles such as grease.

When I see these at home inspections I turn them on and if the client is about 5'8" or so have them stand in the exhaust path:

"You need to be aware that a recirculating fan is just that: it is recirculating smells and food particles such as grease from the rising, heated air above the stove-top and into your face as you cook..."

Frequently at condo conversions and new construction its still possible to pay a bit extra and exhaust them to the exterior, and I've had many clients happy that I made the suggestion.

Old 03-10-08, 04:10 PM
H
Thanks.
It is impossible with the location to vent outside. It wouild take a huge amount of labor and cabinet re working to get it to work. It would have to be vented through the cabinets to the outside.

Old 03-10-08, 04:40 PM
K
Originally Posted by horsecrazy View Post
It would have to be vented through the cabinets to the outside.
That's pretty common. Yeah, you lose storage space.

I don't see much value in fans (bath, range, etc.) that lack serious power. Which covers basically everything installed at point of use. Also, many people don't use them because of the annoying noise ... generated at point of use.

A good solution is to install a very large, powerful fan further down the duct, inside ceiling etc. where fan noise is muffled.

If you really must recirculate, maybe better have a fan in kitchen ceiling, with duct up through cabinet and exhaust grill in ceiling?

Old 05-19-08, 03:43 PM
B
Just wanted to chime in and say that we have this fan in our house - vented to the outside - and it is fantastic. I can do a stovetop full of steaks at high heat and barely a whiff of smoke gets past the fan. I realize that you have installation issues but the fan does work if vented to the outside and we have been thrilled with it. What the filters do for us is that thre is not a speck of grease or other residue in any of the venting past the filters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: