Kenmore 417 dryer won't start

Old 03-30-08, 01:11 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore 417 dryer won't start

I have a 3 year old Kenmore 417 dryer. We have power to it, all options are lit up but when I press start, it won't start. It was running as recently as this morning. I have unplugged it, 'locked' and 'unlocked', tried different settings. The time appears, the lights are lit - but won't start. The beep is one beep when I press the 'start' button, not 3 with an error message.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Old 03-30-08, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can you get the model number from inside door... there could be a few different problems depending on model

Old 03-30-08, 08:49 PM
G
model number 417.84082500 - any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-08, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Ck thermo limiter (fuse) take top off right rear conner behind drum, small round fuse with 2 wires, should have circuit through it. unplug machine before doing this. can replace without taking drum out but is difficult

Old 04-06-08, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Had one of there the other day,, The control board relay was fried... had to put in a new control...

Old 03-18-13, 01:59 PM
W
I have the same Kenmore dryer (417.84082500) and the same thing happened to me this weekend. All the lights come on as they should when I hit Start, but when I hit Start again to actually start it, it won't start. No error codes are displayed. My husband went ahead and ordered a thermal limiter online (sears part #134120900). It'll be a week before we get the part. I was wondering if changing the thermal limiter solved your problem.

More information: We put the dryer into test mode and ran all of the tests -- all of them seem to work as described in the service manual. In fact, I wound up drying 2 loads of laundry using the test mode because that was the only way I can get the dryer to work at all. Our dryer was purchased in March 2005 - 8 years old.

Any one else with ideas of what else to try? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-13, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I don't think it would run in test mode if the thremal limiter was bad. Not sure if test mode bypasses it. Put it in and see if it works. It you take the drum out to replace lube the plastic bearing in back.

Old 03-18-13, 04:14 PM
W
Thanks for the quick response, pugsl. We'll give the thermo limiter a try when the part arrives -- probably next week. My husband is hoping he can replace it without taking the drum out.

In the meantime, will I damage the dryer any more by using the test mode to dry my clothes? I have no control over the settings in test mode, so I'll need to be extra careful and not leave stuff in the dryer for too long.

Old 03-18-13, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I doubt you'd hurt the dryer but if you are indeed running it without the benefit of a required thermal limiter you need to be observant of an over heating condition.

Also.....a thermal safety sensor usually fails due to high exhaust temperatures which are caused by a restriction in the vent line. With an electric dryer it is imperative that the vent line be clean and lint free.

While you have the dryer apart for service.....vacuum it out. Remove vent line from back and vacuum inside the back of dryer especially the blower wheel. Make sure line to outside is thoroughly cleaned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: