Reinstall Washer Shipping Bolts Before Moving

Old 04-04-08, 08:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Reinstall Washer Shipping Bolts Before Moving

A couple of things you ought to know and they might not explain them carefully to you.

If you ever move to a new house you (or someone) will need to REINSTALL the shipping bolts. SO MAKE SURE THEY LEAVE THEM, and that you see where/how they go.

I wasn't home when ours was delivered 3 years ago. It might not have mattered, I assumed we'd be "forever", or at least long enough that we wouldn't move an "old" washer. But, life changes and we're moving and taking it with. The 30 year old dryer is staying!

Sure enough, no bolts, wife doesn't remember anything being said and nothing left. I checked the mfgr's website and the "kit) (5 bolts is $23 + shipping.

I had to pull it out from the wall and lean over to measure the size. Fortunately I spent 20 years in the nut and bolt business and know my metrics pretty well. Cost at my local hardware, $2.75.

BTW, when the moving co. rep was here I asked him about it. He said that it has to be ready to go, bolts installed, when they get here and they check a week in advance if he writes that you have a front-loader. They have a "service", probably a 3rd party that comes out and makes appliances ready to ship. $78. plus mileage in our case as we're 50 miles from a decent sized city.

Glad I got the stuff today. But don't end up with an extra $100 on your next move.

frank

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 06:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Good idea!! I had the opposite happen once. An owner of a quad where UGA students lived called me to have an over/under washer dryer removed and disposed of so Sears could install a new one, thinking they would save a few bucks. The problem with the old washer was it vibrated too much in the spin cycle. I took it out and leaned it over onto my truck to discover the shipping bolts were still in the unit! Sears had already installed the new one, and the owner said they didn't want the old one no matter what, sooooo, good day for a little profit! Sold it before I got home. I have two Maytag front loads, one in our house and one in our cabin, and I shall make sure I locate those bolts, now that you mention it. Thanks.

Old 04-05-08, 06:21 AM
This is true for ANY washer. Even a conventional top load washer tilted to an angle exceeding design limits will cause the tub to fall off it's rocker, so to speak.

Old 04-05-08, 11:14 AM
The problem with the old washer was it vibrated too much in the spin cycle.
It took them how long to figure out it wasnt working right?

Jeesh.......The delivery guys would be chained to the wall if my brand new washer acted like that....Nobody noticed something WRONG??? The Vibration from uninstalled Shipper bolts is nothing less than Horrific at best, and usually damages the death out of the floor boards below it.

But hey, a few extra bucks in your pocket , for minimal labor is always a good thing

Old 04-05-08, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
These are 1st semester college kids with beer for brains. They haven't been this far from mother in their lives and have never washed clothes, so they thought it was normal until someone downstairs complained to the landlord. Guess sheetrock started to crack.