Kenmore Elite Catalyst Washer HELP

Old 04-09-08, 04:56 PM
Kenmore Elite Catalyst Washer HELP

We have a 2 year old Kenmore Elite Catalyst washer that will fill and won't do anything else - it just buzzes. I would love any ideas on what may be the problem. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-08, 06:52 PM
Look under the machine for evidence of a Black "RUBBER DUST" on the floor. Likely you have a torn motor coupler.

Cheap and easy fix with a little bit of "Internet Hunting".

Old 04-09-08, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
check for a loose hinge left rear. screws will loosen and lid switch won't close, Dose it drain, spin or agitate, any of those, where is the noise coming from, control panel or motor area,

Old 04-09-08, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
check for a loose hinge left rear. screws will loosen and lid switch won't close, Dose it drain, spin or agitate, any of those, where is the noise coming from, control panel or motor area,
It doesn't do anything after it fills. The buzzing noise seems to be coming from the motor area. I'll check the hinges in the AM. Thanks

Old 04-10-08, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
put it in the spin drain cycle and if it drains the water than it's the coupler

Old 04-10-08, 04:46 PM
Unplug and open console there is a tech sheet on tests for this maching.... also you can tip it back unplug motor electrical connection and reinsert and try...

Old 04-15-08, 02:03 PM
Have same problem

Any update on your problem? My 2006 Kenmore Elite just started having same symptoms - washer fills, then buzzes when trying to go into agitate. If I put it forward to rinse same buzz, but can move forward and will drain and spin.

Have already had the lid switch replaced last year and the service tech said at that time as long as you can hear click when lowering the lid the switch should be OK - so I don't think it is the switch. I also don't see anything unusual under the washer as one mentioned would be related to a coupler. Another thing I found similar was that it may be trying to go into multiple speeds at the same time and causes the buzz and pulling more amps. If I let it sit buzzing it will eventually blow my 20amp breaker.

Old 04-15-08, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
make sure the speed switch is all the way in a position not haft way between speeds, where is the noise coming from lower motor area or top control area?

Old 04-15-08, 08:32 PM
can't tell where "buzz" is coming from and no matter what speed you select(normal, HD, delicate...) it buzzes.

Old 04-21-08, 08:47 AM
Angry What the problem is

Had Sears out and it is the timer (an electronic/mechanical control) that is behind the knob that controls making the wash setting and turning it on. Part is $150, labor is $150.
Tried calling Sears since the washer is not even 2 yrs old, but they have outsourced their service and the service area will only offer to do repairs for $214 which will include a 1 yr warranty.