How to clean water valve screen on Whirlpool ice maker?

Old 04-13-08, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to clean water valve screen on Whirlpool ice maker?

I have a top/bottom Whirlpool fridge model #ET1FTKXKQOO with an ice maker located in the upper left corner of the freezer. The only model number I can find on the ice maker instructions is 2181913.

We turned the ice maker on last night and now 14 hours later it still has not made any ice. It's always worked fine before now. I can hear it making the normal noises and have even watched go through the ice dumping process and then return to the beginning position. I can then hear the water valve make its noise but no water goes into the ice tray. So I think the actual ice maker is working, its just not getting water.

In the manual under troubleshooting, it says the water valve screen may be clogged - how to I clean it?

Or does anyone have any other ideas to fix it? Thanks.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-08, 07:57 AM
OK, so I pulled out the fridge, turned off the water in the basement, disconnected the water feed line from the fridge, put the fee line in a bucket and then turned the water back on and I got water, so everything is good with the feed line.

I then took a closer look in the freezer and it turns out the open top feed tub is full of ice, meaning water can't get to the ice maker. So I've got the freezer door open now and am waiting for the piece of ice all the way in the back of the fill tube to thaw enough to slip out, then I'll put it all back together and test. I assume it will start working fine.

My question now is: why did the fill tube freeze up with ice? Does this mean the water valve on the fridge is allowing water through when it shouldn't? And how do I prevent the tube from freezing up again?

Old 04-13-08, 12:59 PM
A few things could be happening there. The valve could be seeping allowing water to trickle and freeze the fill tube. The refrigerator/freezer temperature controls might be set too cold. It might be best to replace the water valve.

Old 04-14-08, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't think the freezer is set too cold. The fill tube was a solid piece of ice, meaning it took a lot of water to make that much ice. I'm thinking the water valve is the problem. I guess I'll have to price one out and see when I can get to replacing it. At least I know what to do if it happens again. Thanks.