OK to drill small holes into fridge door for new handle?

Old 04-25-08, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK to drill small holes into fridge door for new handle?

Hi,

As part of a kitchen remodel project I would like to replace the existing fridge door handles with a new custom one.
In essence the custom one consists of a 2 1/4" wide wood plank. The existing handles are screwed in to the door.
At first I thought I would just glue the new handles. However, for extra strength I would like to use the same screws (as originals) at new locations.
Therefore, is there anything wrong with drilling small holes into the front of a standard fridge?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-08, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Should be a real appliance guy along, but I'll throw in my $.02 worth. As long it's the door should be no problems provided there are no wires or plumbing for through-the-door water/ice that you might drill into.

Old 04-26-08, 02:08 AM
The screws don't attach to the sheet metal panel or wrap (it's flimsy and would flex), they pass through that and thread deeper into the door. Quite likely if you try new hole locations you'll be gripping nothing but insulation!

Why not remove the existing handle, now, and see for yourself? And I'm pretty sure you could, if really set on it, take the door apart and bury a metal bar or such the handle can yank without deforming the front.

Personally, I'm all for customizing our appliances. No "factory made" look is sacred in my eyes. Good luck!

Old 04-26-08, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Is it feasable to mount the new handle using the old screws in their original location?

Old 04-26-08, 04:50 PM
Hi,

The original holes are not in the front, rather concealed underneath the doors. There is one in the front. I noticed some metal enforcement sticking out. In any case I drilled holes into the front. The metal used for the doors is rather thick, more than I expected. It seems to me that I will be fine.