< 4 year old GE Fridge/Freezer not getting cold enough anymore

Old 04-28-08, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question < 4 year old GE Fridge/Freezer not getting cold enough anymore

This is a basic GE Fridge with freezer on top.
A few days ago I noticed the fridge and freezer weren't as cold as they used to be or should. I don't have a thermometer to put in there and see how warm/cold it is but it's barely cold enough. Ice cubes in the freezer stay frozen. Things are cold but even at the highest temp., not as cold as they used to be or should be. Tried turning up the dials to max (9) on fridge and freezer but it didn't help much.

I'm not overly handy but I took the panel off the back and the fan is turning and the compressor appears to be running. There was a lot of dust back there so I vacuumed it up. Didn't seem to help. Just wanted to check with you guys here to see if there was anything I could check before calling for a repair guy.

If there is something wrong I'm hoping it's the compressor as I noticed it was under warranty for 5 years and we're within that.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-08, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there any signs defrost water can come out the defrost tube and get into the pan under the refrigerator (some sit ontop the compressor). If it is not doing this, the freezer coils will ice up, and more.

Is the fan in the freezer section running when the compressor is running?, as it should be?

Old 04-28-08, 06:17 PM
No signs of defrost water but I'm not certain where it would be. I'll have a closer inspection tomorrow after work. The fan in the freezer section is NOT running and as far as I can tell, the compressor is running. The other fan in the lower back portion of the fridge by the compressor is running.

Old 04-29-08, 06:41 AM
If the freezer fan does not work, it is either likely burned out or fan blade frozen by ice from no defrost or lack of defrost drainage due to bad defrost timer or clog in drain line (likeliest). Therefore your problem could be single problem or two-fold problem, where one caused the other.

Some refrigerators have freezer door switch that kills freezer fan when open. But most do not, to best of my knowledge/experience. But make sure there is not a button for this for the freezer door. You also can put ear to the closed freezer door and listen, when the compressor is on, to see if you can hear the fan running inside - which you should -always, when compressor runs.

Old 04-29-08, 02:20 PM
Thanks ecman51, you were bang on. I ended up calling in a repair guy and he replaced the fan. Ended up costing $180 after taxes and labour but at least it got fixed quick and we only lost some milk. Seems expensive and I hate to spend money but what can you do...

I learned a little bit about how a fridge works in the process. Maybe next time I'll tackle replacing a bad fan.

Old 04-29-08, 03:48 PM
Always think of forums like this one. There are many jobs you can do yourself and save a bundle on. And it really adds up as the years go by, as to how much you can save.

If you ever decide to become a landlord, it is almost imperative you learn how to do a lot of change out stuff yourself.