whirlpool gold electric range oven is not working

Old 04-28-08, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question whirlpool gold electric range oven is not working

I have a Whirlpool gold series model GR448LXP. not sure how old it is. The oven does not heat up and oven light does not come on. But stove and timer work fine. when i turn on the oven the board display shows temperature setting (in bake and broil mode), but light does not come on and oven does not heat up.
I was told to the heat element in case it is burnt. So, I purchased an ohm meter and used it to the best of my ability.
I set the ohm meter to 200 ohms, then I disconnected one end of the heat element and tested it. The reading was 25.5. Please send in your suggestions. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 06:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Element probably okay. If broiler element does not work also, then your oven timer got off it's "manual" setting and needs to be set back by "manual" at the 3 clock buttons. I had to do one of these yesterday. Tenant felt stupid when I showed him.

Old 04-29-08, 07:55 AM
how do I reset it to manual? I do not have the owners manual to this range

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Element probably okay. If broiler element does not work also, then your oven timer got off it's "manual" setting and needs to be set back by "manual" at the 3 clock buttons. I had to do one of these yesterday. Tenant felt stupid when I showed him.
I have not tested the broiler but resetting the timer sounds good to me. how do I reset the timer?

Old 04-29-08, 08:56 AM
I think you mean just set teh temp and time manually.

Originally Posted by Dev D View Post
I have not tested the broiler but resetting the timer sounds good to me. how do I reset the timer?
I think you mean just set teh temp and time manually. If that is the case I can try that when I get home today.

Old 04-29-08, 11:44 AM
On one of the dials or indicators it should actually say the word "manual". You have to turn it to that. If knob pushes in to turn and set, you want the knob to pop back out, rto be in the manual position, if you have that kind.

Old 05-01-08, 10:08 AM
Unhappy this model has the digital controls

Sorry, I did not get back with you sooner but I had to take my wife to the ER 2 days ago but she got better and was discharged yesterday evening. So, I got a chance to read your reply today.
My control panel is digital. It does not have knobs, just buttons and digital display. I set the temp manually to 435 on broil and waited for at least 10 min but the heat element did not change color and the temperature did not change in the oven at all.

Old 05-01-08, 05:01 PM
Are you getting heat out of each of those elements in the oven, though. I want to know even if it is warming up. Because if it does that, maybe you simply lost one of the legs of the 240 power and you are on 120. Then it becomes a matter of trying to find where.

You can remove one elment behaving that way [!! turn off breaker first or pull the plug on stove!!] - or remove the back of the stove to access the terminal where one of the120 wires is screwed to the one end of the element and see if when you turn the stove on, if either of those ends of the element get 120 volts to show up, to ground, with a voltmeter. I one does and the other is 0, then trace back the wire that has zero to either perhaps a burned wire, bad connection or bad switch or something. Finding source of a heating failure, NOT associated with timer controls, is not too rocket science.

Have you made sure first, before starting any other diagnostic procedure, that you have 240 to the stove? One indicator would be that surface elements can glow red.