Dishwasher not draining

Old 05-15-08, 07:00 PM
Dishwasher not draining

Our Bosch dishwasher stopped draining today. There was a lot of standing water in the bottom. I checked the strainer leading to the drain - it's fine. When I remove it, the backup is still there. I ran it a few times, and included a little vinegar. It now drains the water almost out of the dishwasher, but there is still standing water in the drain hole. During the draining cycle, just a little water comes out into the garbage disposal drain. I checked the lines under the sink leading to the airgap and the dishwasher. I felt them and moved them to try to loosen any debris inside. It didn't help. The drain from the airgap to the dishwasher goes into the cabinet holding the dishwasher and out of sight for me (to the back of the dishwasher). I assume this means I'd have to remove the dishwasher out of the cabinet to access it. Is there anything else I can do before calling a repairman? If the clog is in the line from the airgap to the disposal, I can probably clear it out. If from the airgap to the washer, I don't see how to clear it unless I put it into a bucket and try to run a cycle. I don't have anything small or thin enough to push into that line.

I read on another website that going further than this it's recommended to hire someone, but I thought I'd check here first.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Not a pro here and this may not even be the problem, but we've had that happen a few times, and every time it was that the main drain (to the outside) needed to be cleaned/cleared, usually the result of grease buildup. Within a week, the sink no longer drained either.

Old 05-16-08, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by dj928 View Post
During the draining cycle, just a little water comes out into the garbage disposal drain.
You mean - as in - you removed the drain hose from the disposer, and then tried to drain out the dishwasher while you observed the volume of discharge? Or, ?.

Have you disconnected the line from the incoming of the airgap to see what that discharge rate is there, into say a 5 gallon pail?

Or have you put your sink drain line under a load test for heavy discharge to see if say yur double dink will drain out in about 30 seconds (a good time for double sinks, that do not have drain line blockage downstream). Or, filled up the garbage disposer side of the sink with disposer plug cap cover in place, then pull plug and run diosposer and see if water tries coming up (backing up) into the other basin (which would indicate a downstream 1 1/2 or 2 inch drain line blockage.)

These tests would then indicate where to tackle your problem: Main drain downstrean of sinks?, or in the line between airgap and disposer?, or in the air gap itself, or the disposer port hole if say especially the installer did not get the knockout all the way out?, or in the dishwasher drain line (unlikely I think - at least I have never ran into this)?, or, in the dishwasher itself (drainwise or electricial malfunction)?

The thing is though - if the line anywhere from the air gap on downstream is blocked, water should be coming out of the airgap itself, unless that is the point itself that is blocked.

Old 05-17-08, 07:17 AM
You mean - as in - you removed the drain hose from the disposer, and then tried to drain out the dishwasher while you observed the volume of discharge? Or, ?.
No, what I mean is just watching the drain where the disposer is and seeing the slow trickle of water that flows in during the dishwasher drain cycle (as opposed to the previous much larger flow that occurred when it was working properly).

I haven't done any of the other thing you mentioned. My wife said that before this problem occurred, there was a slight "grinding" sound the washer was making. This sound still occurs when we test it, but I assumed it had something to do with the possibility of a blockage. Now, I'm wondering if the pump motor or something has failed.

The disposer side of the sink is working fine. We get small blockages there regularly and they are easy to clear. The flow on that side is normal. I believe either the line is clogged somewhere or there is a mechanical problem with the washer. I don't know how to access the line where it actually meets the washer.

I think this problem is probably more extensive for my expertise, and we called a repairman. I just wanted to see if there was something simple I could check before spending the money.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-17-08, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, the best you could have done to see if the drain action for sure is slow through the line and not in the airgap, is to disconnect the line from the dishwasher that hooks up to the airgap, and stick it in a pail and see when you drain the unit.
Post back what was found if you would.