whirlpool refrigerator quit

Old 05-15-08, 11:54 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
whirlpool refrigerator quit

I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator model ED25PQXFY02 that quit working a couple days ago. Lights worked but not keeping cold in freezer and refrigerator. Next day still not working, I opened doors to let air out, after 10 min I heard it kick on and stayed on for 6-8 hours then quit again.
It died on me a couple years ago and I think the repair guy replaced a relay. I don't want to call sears again.
Any ideas before I tear into it?

Thanks for any info.

Old 05-16-08, 06:23 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure you have full 110-120 volts at ref. outlet.

Make sure no-one played with thermostat dial inside, and put it to like 1/2-1 setting or something low like that.

Need to make sure refrigerator not stuck electrically in it's defrost cylce due to fault there. Compressor will not run in defrost mode. You would have to manually rotate defrost timer dial in various positions to satisfy your query there.

Then, you can test compressor electrically with an initial rudimentary test where you take ohm readings between all 3 compressor terminals and make sure you have good continuity between all combinations of any 2 prongs. Then you ohms test between each prong and the metal shell of the compressor to make sure you get NO reading. A reading would indicate dead compressor short.

IF compressor runs for a while, then you have to determine if the freezer section is getting cold. Use a thermometer. In 1/2 hour it should be at least down into the teens, I beleive, in most cases, if starting at room temp. If not getting cold enough, could indicate low freon which then could cause run-on problems and overheating and kick out of compressor thermal overload protection, causing wierd compressor actions like short cycling with the relay - clicking noises.

If your refrigerator has a condensor fan (will be found on refrigerators that have coils under the refrigerator, and not the kind of refrigerator that has coils on the outside BACK of the fridge), you want to make sure it is running when the compressor runs.

And when the compressor runs, the evaporator fan also must be running in the freezer section. The freezer fan, along with the compressor, does not run when in defrost mode.

Let us know on some of these things, that only need observance to things stated.

If you want to check out he compressor ternminal, you need a multimeter (some call them voltmeters, or volt-ohm meters) for that.

Old 05-17-08, 08:11 AM
N
Refrigerator has started working on its own again and I have not been able to do any tests. It has been running for over 24 hours now.
When it was not working, there were no fans or anything running. Just the lights on the inside. Now that it has started again, both refrigerator side and freezer side are working/getting cold.

Old 05-17-08, 04:03 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Monitor it with thermometers so you know where you are at with this. I have seen refrigerators low on freon just to the point that one minute it seems to be working just fine and then the symptom of not enough cooling returns.

I have also seen borderline case refrigerators that act up when the house temperature gets hot and humid in the summer?

Old 05-17-08, 05:21 PM
N
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Monitor it with thermometers so you know where you are at with this.
I know where I am at with this. When the refrigerator is not working, the compressor and fans are not running and both the freezer and fridge warm up to room temp. When it starts working again, the freezer starts freezing and the fridge cools down to around 40.

Old 05-18-08, 02:17 PM
M
I'm gonna guess it's your defrost timer... it should go into defrost mode (compressor turns off and heating coils come on 'till temps goes above freezing) for 20-30 minutes every 6-10 hours.

Look for a semi-hidden, regular screw driver size, turn button. This is part of a rounded box about 1"x4"x4". Sometimes it's immediately behind the front air grill at the bottom of the frig, sometimes it's inside the frig, hidding by the light bulb, sometimes it's behind a cover (or just google an image of it)... turn it... listen to the clicks... frig should kick on as soon as you turn it enough (half a turn?).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: