top of Kenmore dryer feels very hot to touch

Old 06-01-08, 03:04 PM
top of Kenmore dryer feels very hot to touch

My Kenmore electric dryer, model 970-78712 feels hot to touch on its top and burning hot near the back and back panel. It is a stackable model with the controls in the front, but it is installed besides the washing machine. It is the first time I checked for this, so I don't know if it was like this before or if it is normal. Somehow I don't think it should be this hot. This happens even when I put the delicate low heat cycle, but not when the no heat cycle is running. I checked and cleaned the exhaust pipe and lint trap enclosure (they weren't clogged up). I also recently changed a piece of foam strip on the front panel (top half) that holds the drum into place. I am not sure if it is safe to run the dryer when is getting so hot, so I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you,
Lilian

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-08, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually when the dryer gets to hot the vent tube is blocked, Dose it take the clothes a long time to dry? more than 1 cycle. Did you clean the vent tube all the way to the outside. Could be a thermostat problem by not very likely. Please keep us informed on what you find

Old 06-01-08, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your reply, I cleaned the vent tube as much as I could access and far as I could reach by disconecting vent tube from dryer. It wasn't too dirty. Also there is a good amount of air blowing out the vent outside. If it is the thermostat as you said, how dangerous is it to run the dryer for now and what is there to do? Thanks again,
Lilian

Old 06-02-08, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
With the vent tube disconnected from dryer feel the air flow , connect vent and go outside and feel air flow there, Should be almost the same. If dryer is overheating either you could have a fire danger, most likely is that the heater element or high limit thermostat will burn out. 90+ % of dryer problems start with vent problems. If you can't clean the whole vent you might have a pro come in and clean it.

Old 06-04-08, 07:42 AM
Yesterday I replaced the whole length of plastic vent tube with an aluminum one to insure proper venting. When tested dryer still feels burning hot!

Old 06-04-08, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sry could not get your model # to come up to see which dryer you have, The temp is controlled by a 4 wire thermostat. Is the lint screen in the top or do you open the door and lint screen right there? If in the top the thermostat is in the back, If screen is in front the thermostat is behind lower front panel. Have only had 1 of these go bad in many years. Am trying to think of other things that might cause it maybe somebody will have more ideas

Old 06-04-08, 04:37 PM
Hi, the lint trap is right there when I open the door. Is there a way of testing the thermostat?
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-05-08, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
unplug dryer do you know how to open panel? the 2 large terminals are to heater so should be ok or it would not heat. Don't know what the small terminals should read but you should get a reading on a OHM meter. Thermostat is around 20$ I would just replace it. Still not sure that's the problem but next best guess. Hope it helps and very glad you got rid of plastic vent tube as it's fire hazard.

Old 06-05-08, 10:58 AM
Hi again, I just spoke with a Sears serviceman and he told me that in the model of dryer I have the heating coil is located on the back panel, so it is normal to feel this hot. He felt that if I already changed the vent pipe, I should have no worries. I guess I'll just keep a close eye on it. It is a very good thing I changed the plastic pipe, it was more plugged up than I thought! Thanks so much for your helpful comments.

Old 06-05-08, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd have a look and make sure element is not burned in half and touching the metal inside. A couple years ago I was called to a hot dryer top that was not even on or running, due to this! You could fry an egg on the top of it.