Top Loader Amana Washer Screeching Noise

Old 06-21-08, 04:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Top Loader Amana Washer Screeching Noise

I have a top loading amana model #LWA50AW. It makes a loud screeching noise while agitating, spinning, and emptying water. It does not make the sound while filling up with water. I removed front panel, sounds like it coming from pump or motor right in the front. Leaning towards the pump. I grabbed the belt and can turn it in either direction.

Any advice on how to check it further? I also noticed the belt has lots of separations in it all the way to the outter strap, so I will have to figure out how to replace it too. Could the belt cause this noise? Thanks.

Old 06-21-08, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Dose the machine spin and agitate OK? Put your finger on pump when making noise and see if you can feel noise there.
The pump could be making noise. Pump is a pain to change on that one. Belt could be slipping. I think you have to take pump off to replace belt. I would replace pump at the same time. Should be able to stick finger in intake or outlet of pump after belt off and turn impeller on pump. If doesn't turn pump stuck. Replace it anyway. When apart make sure Idler is turning freely

Old 06-21-08, 05:00 PM
S
okay, i'll get both parts and replace Mon or Tue. appreciate the advice.

Old 06-22-08, 11:36 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Pump is a pain to change on that one. Belt could be slipping. I think you have to take pump off to replace belt.
Isn't this the kind that has like 3 long bolts that go up through the bottom of the pump, and maybe a set screw on the shaft? -, and you take out the bolts, loosen the allen? set- screw, and drop it just enough to worm the belt in between those bolt posts some?

If this is the kind, I figured this out without anyone helping me, just by looking, the first time. Maybe a 1/2 hour job about?

Old 06-30-08, 10:01 PM
H
If this is the kind I work on, the easy way for me is to remove the four bolts that hold the motor/pump onto the frame, remove the two hose clamps, disconnect the wiring plug from the motor. Set the motor down with the pump up, and remove the pump three screws, note the screws are usually torque head. Take note of where the belt goes, as it goes in between two legs of the pump. There should not be a set screw to hold the pump to the motor shaft, the shaft has a flat that fits the pump shaft exactly. Not sure where your noise is coming from, sometimes the pump, sometimes the idler pulley can make lots of noise. Make sure you get the right belt going by the old belt number. If you are fast, it's a 30 minute job. Good luck.

Himeros

Old 07-06-08, 09:37 PM
S
Thanks for the replies.

It was the wierdest thing. My wife asked me if she could run it with the loud noise since I was going to replace the pump and belt. I said yes. After a day and a half of running the noise all of a sudden stopped...all by itself. So, I'm thinking something was caught up in the pump??? I bought the belt and will be replacing it eventually, but so far it's been running like a champ. Got lucky I guess.

Hope everyone had a good 4th! It was fun, now back to work on Mon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: