Maytag Washer Drum Spins Out of Control!

Old 07-07-08, 05:09 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Washer Drum Spins Out of Control!

I have gotten great advice on here in the past couple weeks, and thank you all for it. And now I have run into another problem.

My Maytag Washer seemed to making alot of noise the other night during the spin cycle. It seems that the drum that holds the clothes is off its center and spinning out of control. When the washer is stopped, you can literally move the drum back and forth with your hands. Is there something that has come loose? Some part that needs replacing? Can anyone tell me?

Thanks so much, in advance.

Old 07-07-08, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Please give model # Top loader behind left side of consul. Top loader or front loader?? What kind of noise, roaring, Squealing something else? After repairs please post fix Thanks

Old 07-08-08, 05:04 AM
G
Model #: HAV2558AWW Maytag Top loader washing machine.

When it goes to spin cycle, it makes a thumping sound, like the drum is banging into the sides and front of the machine.

Any ideas of what it is or how to fix?

Old 07-08-08, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
open top and look a basket. Is it leaning to one side?
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...b%20Components
parts 18 and 29 is what you need. Put something like baking soda between snubber and base so plastic doesn't slip so bad. Will give tear down help if basket is leaning

Last edited by pugsl; 07-08-08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 05:07 AM
G
Yes, the basket is leaning. I will order those parts.

Can I get teardown information?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-08, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The springs are pretty stright forward. Maytag has a special tool to install them but you can do it with a pair of pliers and some strength. Not sure which machine you have. Lower front if there is a fold there usually 2 screws to remove and front panel will swing out and off. If no screws put putty knife between top and front panel in line with top there are two spring clips/Push clip inwhile lifting up on top/ Top will swing up. #rd type pull front panel out from bottom and will pop off clips under machine than panel will swing out and off. Most machines have a access panel in rear to get to back springs. Plastic ring is a little more work 2 guys can do it without taking tub assy out but I would take tub out/ remove springs, tilt machine back to wall and remove belt take center cap off plastic pulley.take E clip out, be careful to see how parts come off. take pulley off. do not remove 5/16 screws in brake heavy spring there. While in taking springs take off drain hose to tub and pressure switch hose in back. May be other things to disconnect can't remember right now. Think this will get you started. please post repair. tub will lift up and out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: