Maytag LAT9420AAE won't spin

Old 07-08-08, 03:56 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag LAT9420AAE won't spin

My Maytag LAT9420AAE won't spin. I smelled a "burnt rubber" smell that initially made me assume that it was a bad belt. I turned the unit over and inspected the two belts. Both look fine. The drain pump and associated belt work great. In spin cycle, the motor spins but the belt does not make contact to spin. I removed the belts and tried to turn the pulley by hand. In one direction, it turns fine and the agitator turns. In the other direction, it turns a partial turn and freezes up. I plugged the machine in with the belts disconnected and put the machine in spin cycle to try to turn the drum by hand. The drum does not turn. I am assuming that the problem is either the transmission, the brake assemble, or the bearing. Is there any way to diagnose which it is. If it is the transmission I am not sure it makes sense to repair the unit based on the cost of the transmission and the difficult making the repair.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-08-08, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
here is alink to your machine #'s 5 , 17 if brake assy minimum of what you need. Don't know to much about that style of brake assy. You have one of the last good Maytags

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: