vibrating compressor

Old 07-12-08, 09:05 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vibrating compressor

Hi, I have a 10 year old Kenmore side by side fridge and when i walk by it or stand in front of it bounce up and down the compressor makes a clunking noise that goes on for a few seconds. I removed the back panel and the noise is coming from inside the compressor. The unit seems to work fine but the noise in irritating. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 07-13-08, 09:18 AM
H
Inside your compressor, the motor assemble is mounted on three springs. One or more of those springs have broken, or become weak, and what you hear is that assembly hitting the inside of the metal case. It may work that way for some time, or damage itself, and quit any time. Keep your ears on it, and expect the worst.

Himeros

Old 07-13-08, 01:30 PM
B
Does the noise really get loud when the compressor shuts down? That is the best indicator for a broken spring inside a compressor. If that is the case then I definiatley agree that you may have a broken spring and would do well to heed Himeros' advice and expect the worst. I have had customers have similar problems that have gone for several years with no issue, but have had others fail within weeks. Please reply if you don't hear a particularly loud clunk when the unit shuts down.

Old 07-14-08, 08:49 AM
W
it doesnt make a loud noise when the compressor shuts down, it just seems to stop vibrating after a minute or so then its quiet again until you walk past it, its almost like i gotta sneek up on my fridge!

Old 07-14-08, 10:38 AM
H
If that is the case, the rubber mounts for the compressor may have compressed some, and the frame of the compressor is riding on the refrigerator frame. Another cause would be one of the copper pipes around the compressor is rubbing on something. Take a good look when it is making the noise, and you may see the problem.
Himeros

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: