Maytag Washer - Slow drain, slowly spinning during drain

Old 07-16-08, 12:51 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maytag Washer - Slow drain, slowly spinning during drain

I have a Maytag top loading washer about 15 years old.
Model LAT9704AAL

My washer is stopping during the drain cycle. It's partially draining and if I hold the lid switch down to watch while running I see the tub is slowly rotating during the drain. It stops draining with about 4 in of water in the tub. If I put it manually to the spin cycle it will spin and drain out the remaining water.
From reading posts - I will check the pump to see if it appears to be rotating freely and check for clogs in discharge line. A couple questions.

- is the tub supposed to rotate slowly during the drain cycle? I've never remember looking before so I don't know if this is normal or not
- if it was just the pump not draining completely due to pump going out or clog in line , would the cycle stop? that is, is there a reason it wouldn't just continue on to spin cycle on it's own? ie. is there some sensor which checks to ensure water is out before going to spin cycle?
- is there somewhere you can get a timing diagram of what's supposed to happen when for my washer?

Thanks in advance!
Ed

Old 07-16-08, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Look under consul might be a wiring digram there and may have timing sheet on it. Tilt machine back to wall and look under it to see if belt('s) are OK Sounds like belt is slipping but not to sure about that.

Old 07-17-08, 06:00 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sabino56 View Post
A couple questions.

- is the tub supposed to rotate slowly during the drain cycle? I've never remember looking before so I don't know if this is normal or not
Yes. No way can it spin that heavy water around in circles a million miles and hour like it does when the water is out. It will pick up speed as it goes and finally kick into super speed once empty.

- if it was just the pump not draining completely due to pump going out or clog in line , would the cycle stop?
To the best of my knowledge, I do not believe there is any water pressure switch that would activate any safety mechanism at any 4 inch depth of water, to kill the unit. Therefore if your cycle stops and stays stopped there, and does not advance, it would seem like a timer issue to me.

There are lots of 'points' in timers, and I have taken them apart. There can be like a couple dozen or whatever, contacts, and some can be arced/burned with raised pits, and depending on which contacts burn, some strange things can happen with the cycles. The last one I did had about 4 burned ones with the others still looking brand new.

Timers can be kinda pricey, so don't buy one and swear at me if this is not it. Let a moderator confirm this so you can swear at him. (hopefuly not.)

Old 07-18-08, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Dose the timer stop moving when it stops draining? If it does the timer is bad. Please post as to what you find out Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: