GE Hotpoint washer not agitating

Old 07-16-08, 01:17 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Hotpoint washer not agitating

I have a GE Hotpoint model #VBXR1060V1WW. If I run it through empty it agitates fine, but even a light load will not agitate. I mean even just a couple of sheets. Spins drains and everything else works fine. Took the front panel off and belt appears to be okay, no nicks, tears, etc. I am a female that cannot afford a new washer nor can I afford a repairman, but I am not opposed to doing it myself with some guidance. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but am not sure where to start since the belt appears to be okay. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated, since my laundry is abut to bury me. LOL

Old 07-16-08, 01:21 PM
H
go to fixitnow.com - this guy is great - he can tell you how to fix any appliance. I had success fixing my whirlpool washer - my agitator didn't work either.

Old 07-16-08, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Dose it sound like it's trying to agit?? GE have peice under agitator that goes bad. Here is a link to your machine
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...r=VBXR1060V1WW
go to tub and look at part 310 8.00 $ You have to pull agitator off the hub and than remove screw that holds hub on. Agitator is hard to come off.

Old 07-16-08, 03:31 PM
K
Yes it does sound like it is trying. I looked into both web sites mentioned and had already found that part on the parts list. I have sent my husband to pick it up. But the problem is that I cannot get the agitator off. I tried the rope trick but couldn't get it. Maybe I am just a weakling. I really wanted to check that part before we bought it, but I cannot get it off. UUUGGGHHHH!

Old 07-16-08, 04:21 PM
K
OK I got the agitator off, removed the screw and took off the coupling. The thing that it sits down on top of still moves fairly easily, I am suspecting that it is not supposed to. there is also what appears to be some kind of small amount of grease inside the coupling and it actually does not look that warn. Or not what I thought it would look like as far as stripped. So should I now start looking at the possibility of the transimisson/drive assembly? I am so hoping that when he gets home with the new part that is all it is going to be. Any other advice would be great right now!

Old 07-16-08, 05:19 PM
K
Ok the new part did not work. What next? Please help.

Old 07-17-08, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If agitator part OK than the transmission is bad. You said the belt was not slipping I think.
That machine has other problems that may pop up in future. 1 of the most common problem is that the motor goes bad and will not spin. Tranny 135+, motor 300$ If need help on changing tranny let us know. Please post what you do
thanks

Old 07-17-08, 03:33 AM
K
Yes the belt is not slipping, everything is turning properly underneath. I don't think I will pay for a new transmission. Unfortunately it will be scraping quarters for the laundermat until I can figure out how to afford new washer. But thank you all for all of your assistance. By the way anyone need a new agitator coupling for cheap?LOL

Old 07-17-08, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get a Whrilpool or Kenmore top loader, Roper is the same washer only with less features.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: