Whirlpool Dryer does not work at all

Old 07-20-08, 12:27 PM
Gia
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whirlpool Dryer does not work at all

I have a Whirlpool Heavy Duty electric dryer (model # LE5800XSW3). I took a load out of the dryer the other day, turned around to put another load in and it wouldn't work. I can hear a very faint hum when I press the start button. When I open the door the hum stops (so not a door latch problem I'm guessing??? ). We checked the belt and it's fine. The thermal fuse was not getting any continuity on the OHM meter. I was going to just order that part but then read on another site that usually the thermal fuse burns out as a result of the hi limit fuse. We checked that and it seems ok. I'd be thrilled if it's just a matter of a $15 part but before I order it I thought I'd post this. Is there anything else we should look at? I have photos of the back of the dryer....I wasn't able to find the exact model number and pics online. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-08, 02:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It be odd to even get the hum with (only) a bad thermal. BUT, if it is really true there is not continuity through the thermal, that part is bad for sure. Just make sure your test was good.

But maybe it went out because the motor is being locked by either itself or some drag on the drum.

Maybe what you should do is take the belt off and see if you can spin the motor shaft freely and the tensioner(idler) pulley freely and see what happens when you try to turn the drum by hand. Turning the drum by hand is kind of a hard test as it is subjective to some actual experience knowing what that resistance feels like. It won't spin real easy, like motor can, but you should be able to turn it. If the drum does not hardly want to turn, you can start suspecting either a bad motor bearing or gummed up tensioner pulley bearing or same with roller bearings if you have rear roller supports, or even a jammed up blower that maybe has a sock in it or something.

Have you ever found your lint screen somewhat ajar?, or a hole in it, or it was left out?

Also, make sure you clean out any lint, while at it, from down below the lint screen and through the whole rear 4 inch vent and outside venthood.

Old 07-20-08, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
I have found out that most thermo limit fuses burn out from overheat usually from the vent to outside blocked. I am also wondering about hum as when fuse goes nothing works but the light might come on, Most times there is a hum it's the motor

Old 07-20-08, 03:38 PM
Gia
I frequently clean the lint filter and have never found it ajar. When I pulled the dryer out from the wall today I vacuumed the whole back inside and even the vent pipe. Nothing had excessive lint. I will go outside and check my vent but I'm fairly certain it's all clear.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the hum....my dad couldn't even detect it. I think it's just that the timer (knob) is getting power. I have exceptional hearing. haha

I suppose I should order that part and see if that's all it was. It's rough w/out a dryer when it's rainy out!

Old 07-20-08, 03:52 PM
Well, as I said, we know the thermal is bad. It's just a matter if anything else is bad that led to it's failure. Then again, I've replaced thermals without doing anything else, and all stays well. What's a few dollars when gas is $4.10 or whatever, eh?

Old 07-20-08, 08:35 PM
Gia
Talking

Well I ordered the part online so I'll let you know if that was the only reason it's not running. thanks again!

Old 07-21-08, 07:19 AM
Yes, please let us know as that helps everyone else who has similar problems.

Old 09-06-08, 10:38 AM
Gia
I apologize for not posting this sooner....but that $12 part was all my dryer needed. It's been running great. I LOVE THE NET!!! I totally thought I was going to need to purchase a new dryer!! Thanks to the help on this web site and others I saved at least $400!!!

Now my family calls me (single can-do-mom) when they have appliance trouble so I can search online for info...hence I'm posting another message for my sisters washing machine!! This one doesn't seem like such an easy fix!

Old 09-06-08, 12:06 PM
The motor had a faint hum. Yet it was the thermal.

Which goes to reitterate what I have stated before - that when certain parts are so easy to test, and a person is not sure, that a person may not want to overthink a problem, but just test it, as some manufacturers must wire in some parts differently than others.