Amana refrigerator freezer evaporator coils

Old 07-20-08, 07:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana refrigerator freezer evaporator coils

I have a AMANA refrigerator and the evaporator coils are frozen over. The freezer isn't freezing.

So, does that mean the defrosting heater isn't working? If so, how do I fix it?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-08, 09:18 PM
H
Since I don't know your model, I can only give you general information on how it works. Your refrigerator shuts off two or three times a day normally and going into the defrost cycle. There will be a defrost limit device that will shut off the defrost heater when the ice is melted. There is a defrost heater that melts all the ice and frost off the coils. There is a timer device that tells the refrigerator how long to defrost and how often. If it is the older type of timer, try and locate the timer by looking for it. Sometimes in the refrigerator section. You may see a 1/4 hole where the timer shaft can be seen and the shaft can be turned by using the blade of a small knife. If it is the newer type, you have to make it enter the defrost cycle by jumping wires, or going through other methods, depending on the type. Do you have any meters to check for voltage or resistance?

Himeros

Old 07-21-08, 12:11 AM
R
I have a similar problem, 12 year old Amana Model TR21S4W. Freezer isn't freezing, fridge is not cold. The fixit book I have points to the defrost timer as the most likely culprit, but I don't know how to test it. May just buy a new one and see if that does it, but that can get expensive if you don't guess right.

I pulled the timer, part number is 104286-1. Any way to test if it's good or bad?

Old 07-21-08, 07:15 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Russycle View Post
I have a similar problem, 12 year old Amana Model TR21S4W. Freezer isn't freezing, fridge is not cold. The fixit book I have points to the defrost timer as the most likely culprit, but I don't know how to test it. May just buy a new one and see if that does it, but that can get expensive if you don't guess right.

I pulled the timer, part number is 104286-1. Any way to test if it's good or bad?
You say you have a similar problem as the original poster who started this thread with the frozen over coils. But you did not say that yours are. Are yours? If not you may not have the same problem.

Old 07-21-08, 11:46 AM
R
Looks like it's not the same problem. I checked the coils and there's no ice on them.

Old 07-21-08, 04:51 PM
E
Originally Posted by Russycle View Post
Looks like it's not the same problem. I checked the coils and there's no ice on them.
So now we can start.

Does your compressor run? And does the evaporator fan in the freezer compartment run when the compressor is running? And do you have heat coils under the refrigerator with a fan down back there, also. That fan TOO must be running when the compressor runs. And those coils should be cleaned.Any one of these 4 things, can make the freezer and hence the fridge, not cool. If all this is good, then you may have a 'freon' loss/leak.

Also let us know if the compressor does start up and sound normal, rather than try to start with clicking going on. (You can make the compressor come on by turning up the temperature dial to test, and/or open the fridge door for a bit, to get it to kick on. If that does not do it, you may have to wait as it may be in it's defrost cycle. You can advance that too, but we won't go there yet.)

Old 07-22-08, 01:13 AM
R
The coils under the fridge were filthy, I bought a brush at the appliance store and cleaned them. Plugged in the fridge and let it run a couple hours. The compressor is working, I can hear it and the coils in the freezer accumulated frost after a couple hours. But it still doesn't get cold enough to make ice cubes. The fan for the heater coils blows strong, but I'm not sure about the fan on the evaporator in the the freezer compartment. I've seen it run, but most of the time it's still. Should it be running whenever the fan on the heat coils is running?

I advanced the defroster timer and the frost on the coils was gone in about 10 minutes. We moved the fridge with a dolly about 5 days before it started having problems, I'm wondering if it might have caused a freon leak. But the evaporator coils seem pretty cold, I'm starting to suspect that fan.

RMC, sorry to hijack your thread. Did you find the defrost timer? Mine is on the ceiling of the fridge compartment, in the front. It's a small red button with a slot for a screwdriver. Turn it clockwise til it clicks and that should kick on your defrost cycle. If the defroster works, you should see results on the coils in a few minutes.

Old 07-22-08, 05:52 PM
E
That freezer fan is either your cause or a symptom.

They run, and can be audibly heard, whenever the compressor runs (as does that bottom fan).

Either that fan is shot, or it is not getting power to it, or the freezer coils are freezing up again and blocking the blade from turning properly.

Have you made sure the fridge defrost line is clear to where it empties out in the pan under the fridge? This must be clear so defrost water can get out of the cooling coils area or else perpetual re-freezing, and ice build up will occur , even with the defroster working. And then cold air won't get from the freezer to refrigerator compartment, often, also.

Someone here can walk you through all the testing procedures.

Old 07-23-08, 12:42 AM
R
Found the problem...there was corrosion on the connector where the wiring plugs in to the evaporator fan. Unfortunately, in diagnosing the problem I almost ruined the connector...the prongs on the fan side are extremely narrow, so when I plugged the leads from my meter into the plug it widened the female receptors, making it impossible for the prongs on the fan to make contact.

Some prising with jeweler's screwdriver and liberal use of contact cleaner got it working. Hopefully the fridge will be much more efficient now that the condensor coils are clean. I don't know why shops don't sell you a coil brush when they sell you a fridge, although the cynic in me has some suspicion.

Old 07-23-08, 07:44 AM
E
Glad you found the problem.