Maytag Neptune Dryer - leaving marks on clothes

Old 07-23-08, 04:58 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maytag Neptune Dryer - leaving marks on clothes

Model MDE5500AYQ

It is leaving small black marks on our clothes while it is drying. The marks will not come out.

I've cleaned out the vent system. The belt is in good shape. The dryer is only a couple of years old.

On the inside of the dryer, I can't see what could be causing these marks, except possibly a seal around the drum.

Any help is appreciated.

I was going to replace the drum seals because our dryer was leaving marks on our clothes. When I took the front tumbler assembly off & inspected it, I found a 10" gash in the top section of the metal door. The gash is about 1/16" wide at one end & is only a sliver at the opposite end.

Have you ever heard of such a thing? I can't understand how something like this could have happened.

The dryer is only 2-3 years old. It's a Maytag Neptune model. Any idea if this could be a defective part?

Last edited by pugsl; 07-25-08 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Same post
Old 07-24-08, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Marks on clothes usually come from clothes getting between drum ad seal. here is a link to your machine, Have not had a problem with this machine but common problem.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0AYQ&pop=flush
look under tumbler and #14 is the seal you need. They are glued on and usually the glue comes with the seals. Replace both when you do it (front and rear) be sure to lube rollers and idler when apart. Use light oil.

Old 07-24-08, 07:28 PM
S
I can't believe what I found!

I bought the drum seals to replace them. When I took the front tumbler assembly off & inspected it, I found a 10" gash in the top section of the metal door. The gash is about 1/16" wide at one end & is only a sliver at the opposite end.

Have you ever heard of such a thing? I can't understand how something like this could have happened.

Old 07-25-08, 06:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Trying to figure out which part you are talking, part 6? usual reason for these parts to wear out is the plastic bearings on door assy are bad and have warned all the way through that part. Check the drum for wear at the same place a lot of times dru m will will get thin or get holes in also.

Old 07-25-08, 08:49 PM
S
Thanks for your help

I changed the belts & the assembly that holds the door. That fixed all of our problems. Thanks for your help.

I guess that the gash in the metal came from the glides wearing out & the drum was rubbing against the front assembly.

All is well. For a family with 4 boys, this was critical! Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: