Maytag LA712 washing machine agitator

Old 07-25-08, 12:48 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maytag LA712 washing machine agitator

My Maytag LA712 washing machine agitator seized up. It did move a bit before it seized up. Then it wouldn't move either way. I freed it up by lifting the front side and reaching under and moving the fan belt to the left and right. This seemed to free up the agitator. It goes both ways now.

The lid switch seems to be working.

I put it in a wash cycle, let it fill with water , but it still wont agitate. You can hear it ticking though.

I also pulled the plug from thr wall for a few minutes replugged it in again, but still no go.

Could it be the motor ? or what ?

Old 07-25-08, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Sounds like the brake assy, Transmission is bad. here is a link to your machine
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...712+&pop=flush
look under clutch, for brake, than transmission was there oil under your machine?

Old 07-26-08, 05:06 PM
G
no oil

There is no oil under washer, all dry.

Old 07-27-08, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still think brake or trans. Some times the brake drys out and could cause your problem. Under machine the if the pulley is a white plastic one there is a center cap take it off and than a E clip remove clip (watch how pieces come out) Take apart and clean and lube parts. reassemble if you are lucky it might work. Web site closed right now so I can't look at parts but most of these machines a new pulley assy.

Old 07-28-08, 11:15 AM
G
pulley

The pulleys uner the machine are not white plastic but made of metal. The large center one says it has a 200 lb spring loading which require special instructions for removal. It has a 1 inch diameter rubber cap over centre part.

Old 07-28-08, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what brake assy you are talking about but thay is one of the few I have not had apart. I know it takes a special tool but that's all I know about it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: