Top Name-Brand Appliances

Old 07-27-08, 10:17 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Name-Brand Appliances

We are renovating our kitchen, and I'm wondering what exactly are the top-name brands for appliances. I've only been living in the US for 2 years and everyone keeps saying put in appliances considered to be top-name (for resale value) and I don't know who they are??? Thanks.!

Old 07-27-08, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 321 Likes on 255 Posts
I could name brands, but if you go into any store that sells appliances, they'll all have top name brands. Just get one that you like and has the features you want and need.
As for resale value, unless it's fairly new, no one's going to pay a lot for used appliances.

Old 07-27-08, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 160 Likes on 124 Posts
You might consider Consumer Reports. Have to subscribe to get ALL the info, but well worth it.

Old 07-27-08, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's true that some people swoon at names like Viking and Sub-Zero. It's also true that people are becoming more educated. Some of the premium commercial brands don't work as well in residential applications, and it is reflected in their repair histories.

You can find good solid models from any of the major residential names (Maytag, GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, LG, etc etc) that have the look of the high end stuff.

I think like anything, the newer and more complicated it is, the more it costs. Which means less people can afford it, so not as many are produced. Which means the manufacturer doesn't get enuf feedback on where problems are.

My father was a regional service manager for Frigidaire back in the 60's and 70's. We got new appliances every year for free. (Man, I loved making forts and clubhouses out of the boxes!) I still remember him talking about what a POS some of the new things they came out with were, until they got them sorted out after a few years of production.

Look for a model that has been in production for a while, do some research, then make your decision.

Old 07-27-08, 02:56 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My appliance repair shop I frequent for parts is good at telling me which ones NOT to buy, obviously based on their techies service calls. That is another approach, to call such a shop.

And pugsl knows too from his work experience.

Old 07-27-08, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I always recommend Whrilpool or Kenmore for reliability and cost of repairs

Old 07-29-08, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always recommend Whrilpool or Kenmore for reliability and cost of repairs
I agree, but be carefull of Kenmore. They are made by several different manufacturers and not all are high quality. Stay around the mid level and you should be fine. Stay away from their "Pro" line completely.

GE is also easy to get parts for and is rating very well in refrigerators (especially their lower end models) and stoves, but their dishwashers have not been top performers.

Another brand that is rating well in features and dependability is Bosch, but it will be difficult and expensive to get parts for until it becomes more prevalent in this country.

One other comment: Resale value is not much of an issue unless you are planning to sell within the next couple of years. If you're planning to be in the house for another 8 years, don't even let resale enter into your decision making process. If you are planning to sell in the next couple of years, buy the best looking appliances you can afford with little regard to function and make sure they all match - it's all about the show.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: