Maytag washer noise during wash cycle

Old 07-28-08, 05:34 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer noise during wash cycle

I have a 2002 Maytag washer (MAV7757AWW) that has developed a loud, continuous noise once it hits the wash cycle. Once the noise started, I switched the washer to the spin cycle to drain the water. The noise was also present during the spin cycle, but it was much softer and the water drained fine. The agitator works fine and I even took it off to inspect it and did not notice any problems.

I've owned the washer for the past 4 years (came with the house), and I only do laundry about once every 1-2 weeks.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this noise? Is it worth repairing? I'm willing to try repairing it on my own if it's not too complicated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Old 07-28-08, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
What kind of noise, grinding, squeaking, squealing, Wher is it coming from under machine, control panel???

Old 07-28-08, 06:48 PM
J
Thanks for responding.

It's a grinding noise. I can't really isolate where the sound is coming from because it's quite loud, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the control panel, but rather from the body of the washer. I did check the belt underneath the washer, and it doesn't appear to be damaged. However, I have not tried running the washer while watching the belt (should I try this?).

Old 07-29-08, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First guess is the transmission s going bad. Take the front off and watch and listen to transmission. need help to open machine let us know.

Old 07-29-08, 05:18 AM
J
Thanks, I will give that a try. Can you please advise on how to take the front off? I didn't notice any screws on the front...

Old 07-29-08, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get a putty Knife between top and front of cabinet in line with lid 2 spring clips push them back while pulling up on top. look inside machine 2 5/16 screws on each side of front. Take screws out and front will tilt out and lift off.

Old 07-29-08, 02:39 PM
J
Thanks! It seems like the sound is coming from the motor unit. I asked another person to listen to the noise, and he characterizes it as a whining sound. I also noticed a white residue on the floor of the washer unit, underneath the tub. It looks like plastic shavings... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: