LG electric dryer in closet: clearance, ventilation questions

Old 07-29-08, 09:36 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LG electric dryer in closet: clearance, ventilation questions

I'm moving into a new house with a closet for the washer and dryer. I've never done this before so I would really appreciate some advice about dryer installation (I think I have the washer figured out). We're looking at LG electric dryer models DLE5955 or DLEX7177 (units are 30" deep).

The closet is 36.5" deep (from back wall to inside of closed doors, it's a little less at floor level due to baseboard) and the door opening is 63" wide so that's no problem for side-by-side washer/dryer. The closet has two solid (meaning not louvered, not that they are solid wood) doors. The closet was designed for laundry so it has all required electrical/plumbing. The dryer vent connection is a vertical duct in a box recessed in the back wall.

Two questions:

1. Are the solid closet doors ok?

2. Will these dryers work with the 36.5" closet depth?

Details:

1. The dryer installation instructions specify a closet door with ventilation, but my builder says this is only required for gas dryers. Can I run the dryer with the closet doors closed or will it get too hot?

2. The instructions for all the LG dryers I've seen (for example: http://us.lge.com/download/product/f...dlg5966g_e.pdf page 10) show a side view of a dryer installation without a closet door, showing the 30" dryer depth, 4" clearance behind the dryer, and a mysterious 4" measurement in front of the dryer (but there is no closet door or other obstruction in front of the dryer in the drawing). The text says 5.5" is typically required behind the dryer for the vent connection, and that 1" is recommended on the sides and back; 1" in back doesn't make much sense. Do they mean 1" on sides and front, and the 4" in front in the drawing is meaningless, or does the drawing mean I need 4" of clearance in front of the dryer?

Old 07-29-08, 11:44 AM
The dryer will be fine in the area you have and will work properly with the door(s) closed as long as there is at least a 1 inch gap under the door(s) for air movement. The LG's have a 2 inch recessed area on the back to save space for the duct work as long as the duct connection is no higher than the recessed area on the back of the dryer. You need at least an additional 2 inches, which you have, since the dryer duct is 4 inches wide. If the vent connection is above the recess (doubtful in your case with the vertical vent), you need 4 inches of back clearance, which you still have, so you should be fine. These dryers can be configured to vent from sides or bottom as well as back which is why LG gives a minimum back clearance of 1 inch. It sounds like LG would like you to have an additional 4 inches of space in the front, but I've had customers put these in closets where the fully closed closet door touched the front of the dryer with no problem.

Watch your dry times and if it seems to be taking longer to dry clothes than it should, try leaving the closet door(s) open a bit when the dryer is running. If it helps, you will know that the air flow is too restrictive and can add some vents to the closet doors or cut them off a little higher up. Although overheating is generally not an issue as long as you have proper side and back clearance, do know that the sides and back of the case can get quite warm so don't use those areas for storage (brooms, mops, dustpans...)

Go with the DLEX7177 if you feel like you will use the steam function a lot, even if you also have the steam function on the washer. It can make a 2 hour job into a 15 minute job and being able to do that in 2 machines at the same time is awesome. Hopefully your sales person has explained all the benefits... If not, let me know and I will.

Doug M.

Old 07-29-08, 02:14 PM
B
Doug,

Thank you for your very helpful post. You have put me at ease, now I just have to figure out which model to buy. I think the gap under the laundry closet door is kind of large (hard to tell since carpeting isn't in), so maybe this will be all the ventilation needed.

The recessed box for the vent goes down to floor level, so hopefully I can take advantage of the recess on the rear of the dryer you mentioned.

As far as which to get, the one thing we want for sure is the "water plus" feature that several LG washers have and no other brand has to my knowledge. This makes the machine use more water than it normally would for a given load size and is supposed to be great for washing really dirty stuff (like diapers). We don't actually like the fancy LCD display on the top-of-the line steamwasher/dryer, so we were leaning toward the DLEX7177 and its matching washer WM2487 because we like its controls/display the best of the bunch. But then we realized that the washer one step down the line (WM2455, matching the DLE5955) has a custom program feature that lets you store your favorite settings for one-button setup that the steamwashers don't if I'm not mistaken (not a huge deal but it might be handy). So the decision is between the custom setting feature and lower price vs. the nicer display and steam. We weren't really sure how important the steam washer/dryer would be considering the cost, so if you have any thoughts on that I'd be glad to hear them.

I actually think the rear-control front-loaders (WM0642/WM0742) would be great since we have carpeting a few inches in front of the washer and aren't going to do a stacked installation anyway. These models have the detergent cups on top, so it would be a lot harder to drip detergent on the carpet. But these don't have the water plus feature, which we really want, so I guess we'll just have to be careful when adding detergent to the little pull-out drawer on the front-control models.

Old 07-29-08, 03:43 PM
Water plus is a handy feature for heavy items like blankets and quilts that absorbe a lot of water too.

The only useful difference between the 2688 and the 2487 is the control panel and 120RPM faster max spin speed. Some sales people will tell you that the 2688 has a more comprehensive suspension and sound deadening system, but I'm not sure how true that is and I promise, you wouldn't notice the difference.

I've never understood why LG omitted the "favorite cycle" option from the 2 top steam washers (probably ran out of buttons...). You can get it on the rear control 0742 with steam, but as you said, you loose the water plus feature. On the other hand, there are enough cycle choices on the 2487 that you will probably not need to do much cycle tailoring so the favorite cycle option wouldn't be that great.

If you can make good use of it, the steam function will pay for itself in a short amount of time. It can be used on cotton/poly blends and will refresh clothes that you otherwise might have had to wash. Things like polo shirts and kakis(sp?)that you wear at the office all day and don't actually get dirty, but wouldn't wear again can go through the steam cycle (up to 5 at a time) and be deodorized and de-wrinkled in 15 minutes and hung back in the closet rather than having to go through a 2 hour wash and dry cycle. What I wouldn't have given for this option when we had all 4 kids in the house and they each changed clothes 5 times a day...

In our house, any open surface will eventually get something put on it. That includes the top of the dryer and it used to be a major annoyance to try and get to the controls between de-clutterings so my wife insisted on a washer and dryer with front mounted controls. Problem solved. As for the dispenser, I rather like being able to pour directly from the bottles into it which would be difficult on the top mounted version, but your case is a little different. I'll warn you that the detergent is the least of your worries. You'll need to make very sure you put something over the carpet when you use bleach (which you'll do routinely to clean the machine). Also remember that the machine runs water down the door window as it's filling so if you have to open it to add something after it's started, it will drip. I usually just hold whatever I'm adding under the door as I open it and wipe the bottom of the window as I'm throwing it in.

Good luck with the new house. I think you'll love whichever LG set you end up with. Make sure the delivery guys level the washer correctly when they put it in place. They should actually us a level... and check both side to side and front to back.

Doug M.

Old 07-30-08, 08:40 AM
B
Thanks for the great information; I think we're going to go with the 2487 steamwasher and matching dryer.

Originally Posted by dougm View Post
Water plus is a handy feature for heavy items like blankets and quilts that absorbe a lot of water too.
Yeah, I've seen a comforter cycle on other brands that adds more water, but then locks you into basically a gentle/delicate cycle which I'm sure is fine for a lot of things but not for everything. I like being able to add more water without being stuck with a low spin speed, for instance.

Some sales people will tell you that the 2688 has a more comprehensive suspension and sound deadening system, but I'm not sure how true that is and I promise, you wouldn't notice the difference.
We heard this from a sales person, but I was skeptical since the weight of the two washers is identical and sound insulation is usually fairly heavy (in cars anyway).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: